Haystone villa 1765

Had any paranormal experiences? Know of anyone who has? Want to know about types of ghosts & theories of what they are? Discuss these here. Ask any advice if you need it.

Re: Haystone villa 1765

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:29 pm

I don't know much about these apps, never used them (if our member Karen from Bristol is around the forum, she may pop in here and advise ;-) .. Karen?)

But, with an ordinary EMF meter: the thing is EMF is produced anyway by various things - bare wires, electric heaters, sometimes mobile phone signals etc. You'll be able to tell when you walk around it will register when you get near electrical sources, especially if they are not properly wired.

EMF meters were originally produced to check for health and safety reasons, to see what fields were around, as there have been scares about high EMF causing cancer and various ill health, as well as electrical fires etc.

Anyway, the main thing is to make a little plan or notes about where the EMF is anyway, where you expect them to be, noting it down. You'll find there are registrations because of various factors. We stayed in an hotel once and the EMF was out the roof, really registering dangerously, I found it happened near the window ... there were overhead electric cables right outside the window about 15 feet from them, and an electric box. Just goes to show.. don't live there!

Anyway, once you have that down, then go to the place that there are no readings, where there are no wires to trigger anything, no sources of EMF, and ask questions, see what happens. Sometimes it will register in answer to Qs, or cause bizarre operation when it shouldn't. With us, we've even wound up having "conversations" with what seems to be a spirit... and the best bit is when we've researched afterward we've found the results to be accurate (though none of us knew anything) and pertained to the history of a place.

Just have a go and see what you come up with :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Roger I'm asking Karen to come and give you some tips on how to use it. I suppose it's the same phone app....
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby karen » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:16 pm

I have got the apps on my android but they're pretty much the same. If you have a EMF meter app on the ipad it should have a colour meter you can use. If the numbers are green.. your safe.. thats how it should it be. To get a good baseline check try the app by electrical sockets.. the readings should be high or in the Red zone, this is a good guide as to how it works, the higher the reading the more EMF is around. Once you've checked this against electrical equipment or even a magnet, you can then walk around the house. Usually Green is OK normal EMF, Amber is usually a sign of something about.. Red is bad.. high EMF.. can cause a feeling of unease, being watched, hallucinations and illness if prolonged.

A good use for this app.. apart from detecting a presence, is for finding hidden electrical wires....

So my advise... find a electrical socket with something plugged in or a magnet to learn what is a high reading if the app is good enough it will give a quite a accurate reading. The other apps I use on my phone which are quite good fun is Ghost Detector (this uses the camera on your phone and bleeps like mad to tell you there is a ghost and to take a picture) Don't use it by the fridge, it will drive you mad.. I have fridge magnets and it picks them up, but it is quite fun, the other one I have is just an EMF meter like yours, there should be an option to use a coloured meter/dial o which is easier to use than just the numbers, if you don't have this option then just do the baseline check to get the feel of the numbers.

Ghost Adventures also use these apps.. they are really fun and easy to use once you get the hang of it. I hope this is helpful..

Good Luck

Karen

karen

Postby Roger » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:23 pm

Yes thanks that did help a bit
So I I walked around checking things out with the emf app
The readout was usually in the mid range,fluctuated around electricals
Although at one point the screen went red,I didn't know it used colour as well so was a bit taken aback
It went red in one corner of my top floor bedroom and no electrics that side of the room
Just the loft space above,there has been some noise in the loft but I think it's just a rat or a squirrel
I hope..
And only one strange noise downstairs in the early hours,I couldn't be bothered to go and have a look
It was to bl..dy cold
I had two weeks down there and the first night I thought I would die of cold
I had to screw a spare mattress over the old wooden window as double glazing
Roger

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Blimey I bet it is cold working on a site like that this time of year! Even if you're doing rigorous work of some sort, and being energetic about it... I wouldn't fancy it.

Very interesting looks like you got a read like that in a place that there can be no EMF... that's the sort of thing. When you go back there, try it again, see what happens.

Would love to come and check it out sometime if you've still got it.... maybe we'll get a chance some time.

I'm hoping the winter won't be as harsh as they are predicting, apparently some Met Offic guy was saying in the Mirror the other day that there's supposed to be the harshest winter since 1963 on its way here, 6 foot snow drifts etc. Hope not, for you on this, and for us if we want to do anything outdoors, and for travelling.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Yeah I'm wondering what the weather has in store
Somerset levels last year and power outages all over the place for Christmas Day
Wasn't nice for a lot of people
I'm looking forward to breaking through the brick arch next summer
I did talk to some train forums to get there opinion,and they didn't think it was a tunnel
But where I think the tunnel would have emerged is a building site
So I went and spoke with the site manager and asked him if he was aware if a tunnel and he said it was marked on his area survey
I also have photo copy's of original railway leases from when the land was sold of and was just fields at the time
On these documents is something marked as an arch,it also gives dimensions marked in chains
Chains seems to be a length of measurement used by the railways
There is a road or track shown leading up to the arch and the arch is drawn over the track
It also says the track goes through
So it is a bit confusing being told that it's not a tunnel
I'm hoping it is and is full of who knows what ,what a man cave it would make
I'm probably going to be working there on and off for the next fifteen months so I'm sure there will be an opportunity to visit
It's got a nice bit of overgrown woodland that I haven't had time to look at yet
Roger

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:39 pm

Just got looking thru your pictures of the work and excavation, very interesting! I am curious what you plan to do with the tunnel you discovered?

I'm am doubtful about iPod apps, especially if they are "EMF' meters and spirit boxes. The one you use, Roger, though, seems to be pretty reliable. However, if you get a constantly high red reading, get out of the area quickly. Prolonged exposure to high levels of EMF can be dangerous-you could experience dizziness, nausea, disorientation, feeling faint, etc. Keep us informed on what is happening with the site, it sounds like a place we would like to visit!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Roger » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:10 pm

I only had the one red reading
So I'm not to worried ,although I do need to check the whole place out properly
As for the tunnel,well I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet
The interesting thing about it
Is that it was bricked up and then someone,probably the south devon railway company
Decided to bank up tons of earth against it
So it makes me wonder what might be in it
When my dad was in the army he witnessed army surplus tanks and jeeps being buried in old tunnels
Down in south london
So my mind boggles at the thought of breaking through the brickwork
Probably nothing in it but who knows !
Will make a nice big mancave
Roger

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:49 am

I imagine.. it would be a remnant of the Victorian industrial scene in the area, either railway, or some sort of transport tunnel for trams.

I work on an industrial heritage site, - a World Heritage Site, and we have tunnels like that around, very old.

Really, it would be quite easy to find out what it is... just by contacting the Uni and getting some Industrial Archeologists down there, or English Heritage ... but if you did that, if they find out it's very old they may forbid you to change it or demolish it, if you had to, it may wind up getting grade listed as industrial heritage and need to be preserved as it is (which may not be a bad thing, so long as you want to keep it that way).

Just be careful, may not be safe.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:25 pm

Bit of an update
Have recently started the basement flat conversion without any problems
Usually go down on a Thursday night and come back Sunday night,my boss lets me sneak off
I went down last Thursday night and there was some noise downstairs,not shouting or banging about but just loud voices,lasted for about two minutes
So something's still going on
Roger

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Ghostly Experiences