People At The Window

Had any paranormal experiences? Know of anyone who has? Want to know about types of ghosts & theories of what they are? Discuss these here. Ask any advice if you need it.

Re: People At The Window

Postby Tasha O » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 pm

Hi GhostInTheMachine,

It is the right place, I think the feature is forestry tracks but not sure, there were many but a lot of the forestry between the bridges has been thinned out now.

I forgot there had been an old fort marked on an old map I saw of the area, it was to the right of where the village sits, and down near the water, I guess a lot of history would take place there over the thousands of year, would be nice to invent a time machine and go back and detail it all, and to be able to stay invisible while doing it.

The ruins of the old castle always intrigued me, I would like to take another look some time, there was an atmosphere there, I wonder if there were dungeons, still there perhaps, under the ground just waiting to be unearthed, torture chambers and the like, what a horrible thought, when I think of what might have taken place, but away back things like that did take place sadly, barbaric and terrible acts.

Thanks for the link, I will take a little look later.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:59 pm

If it's any consolation, most of the more minor castles didn't have torture chambers, or even dungeons as we call them, mostly these were reserved for the bigger places. Even Raglan Castle, where some of us on here work, didn't have a dungeon, nor did White Castle where I worked 2 years ago... they would mostly have the areas below ground used as storage areas, or at the best a lock up for local criminals, which Raglan had.

It would be interesting to know more about this one, there will probably be references to it in the local or county archives.

Here is some info I found about Dundeugh Castle, no doubt you saw that already

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/64 ... gh+castle/
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Tasha O » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:23 pm

Yes, I agree with it being a smaller castle there would have been no dungeon or torture chamber, silly thinking really, but I had a mental image in my head of some people dwelling on the land now the village committing a crime of some description and being imprisoned in the dungeon of the castle.

Yes I was on that site and planning to go back and do more reading, but I have not taken note of all the sites and one in particular about the area was very interesting, and another site with tales of a shepherd, pots of gold and a fairy, was in connection with the caste.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby jerry1975 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:12 am

Hi Tasha.

A very intresting area you lived in and i would love to investigate that ruined castle.

As ghostinthemachine has said the local library may have a whole host of information and maybe the local registry office may have details going back some years so when you get to that stage in your research you can find out who lived where, when they died, occupations etc.

Good luck with your investigations.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby Tasha O » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi jerry1975,

would love to investigate round the old ruined castle, might take metal detector there too when I finally get to try and look for my grandmothers ring, never know what I might find there, unless other people have been before, I have no idea, but if there had been a significant find I think it might have been in the local paper.

Yes the library would be a good place to visit for information, when I get the chance I will take a look, but I don't drive myself, so when husband is free sometime I will get him to run me to the nearest one, some of the smaller Library's in the area have closed down now.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:26 pm

Found this interesting web page Tasha O

http://www.dumfriesandgalloway.hss.ed.a ... s-legends/
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Tasha O » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:40 pm

Thank you GhostInTheMachine for the link, I will take a little look now.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:58 pm

No prob. Just checked and no links there, but a lot of potentially good research resources.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Tasha O » Fri May 01, 2015 3:52 pm

Thanks GhostInTheMachine,

Yes, their are a lot of good potential research resources there, I actually have one of the books in the list, 'Tales of Galloway' written by my English Teacher, but not the one that mentions my Art Teacher in regards to the illustrations.

I have read the book many years ago, but I need to refresh my memory.

Thanks again

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri May 01, 2015 10:34 pm

It's very interesting to look into, and it makes it much more interesting that you didn't automatically connect the Victorian industrial history with your area and thought there were no such characters there, as it means you weren't connecting and suggesting the story tot yourself, but were thinking in other terms about the area ..

Can you tell me where the mining village of Woodhead was in relation to your own village? I can see it's up on the higher ground, but it would be very surprising to me if your village had no connection. They would need to get the lead down off that area and transport it away to a market or to foundries .... If it's anything like the Welsh mines and metal works in my area, they would use the rivers or canals in those days, and it looks like where you are is right on the water at a main junction. You would also expect buildings down there, possibly depots or more worker's cottages. Just a guess. If it were used like that, it would have a lot of Victorian folk around it. The name of the main landowner who developed the mine and village was Hon. Col. McAdam Cathcart, who is of the age that he would have worn a fine top hat... wonder if you saw him, or one of his executives? :-D

This page gives some good info, and describes a track that went down from Woodhead to transport the lead to Carsphairn, according to stats that was over 1000 tons of lead a year. That's a major amount of traffic and logistics to move, and store.

http://www.southernuplandwayholidays.co ... mine-trail
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Ghostly Experiences