My Haunted Teenage Years Growing Up in Kenilworth UK

Had any paranormal experiences? Know of anyone who has? Want to know about types of ghosts & theories of what they are? Discuss these here. Ask any advice if you need it.

My Haunted Teenage Years Growing Up in Kenilworth UK

Postby Mikey Dee » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Hi, Im 48 now and really wanted to write these things down now so its recorded. I do remember them like yesterday even though they happened over 30 years ago. I have to include all the background info or else my thread would undoubtedly raise more questions than it could possibly answer. But I guess science will never be able to grasp this phenomenon and prove or disprove one way or the other which I accept now. But it would be nice !

1) The Woodpile in the Garage

2) The Writing on the Wall

3) The Lifting Alabaster Vase

4) The Man Walking into My Bedroom

5) Mum Has Seen it Too

6) The Healing

The Woodpile in The Garage

It was that lazy time after school had finished, before the dinner had been served and me and my younger brother and sister were mooching about the house just doing our own thing for an hour or two. It was a house that was new and we were
the first people to live there. It stands very close to Kenilworth Castle in Highfield Close. The Castle em battlements rise above the treeline in the garden and the land used to be an orchard before the house was built. I wondered over the coming years if the 6 month siege in 1266 caused someone to die of disease and they were buried in an unmarked grave beneath the house. I was 12 at the time in 1979 and had lived there with my parents and siblings since I was about 4. There was no hint of another presence in the house or any kind of an eerie feeling at all.

I was still in my school clothes and was feeding the pet gerbils that we had in the garage. The garage was big enough for two cars and had big neon lights and was well light. The cars were not in at the time which made the job of feeding the gerbils easy enough.I was looking into the cage and checking they had enough food and water when a huge crash sounded right next to me just a foot behind me - just out of sight. I jumped up as quick as lightening to see what on earth had just made this tremendous crashing noise and I saw a pile of wood next to me. I looked up and there was no way they could have fallen off the shelves, they were packed with old jam jars full of nails and screws, not to mention the wall of half used paint pots stacked up.

I then looked closer at the wood pile and realised it was all the wood that I had collected over the course of the summer from the garden. Bits of wood that were too big for the lawnmower to chew up were put on this pile to dry out to use as
kindling wood in the winter. I looked over to the other side of the garage nearly 8 feet away and clearly remember seeing the particles of dark soil on the floor and bits of rotten wood left behind. I was shocked.

It was only then that I felt my face drain of blood and the panic set in. Whatever had done this was still in the room with me and this pile of wood would have taken a grown man two arms to pick up. Whatever had done this had done it in absolute silence. I was very shaken and left the room immediately. Mum just looked at me with a very tongue in cheek expression and said nothing and my brother and sister just looked at me like I was mad. I learnt pretty quickly not to mention this but it was really scaring me.

The Writing on the Wall

Again there was nothing special about this night. I was in bed and bored. My Mum was out at a Ladies Circle Evening and my older brother and Dad were watching Match of The Day downstairs in the lounge. I couldn't sleep at all so I went snooping in my younger brother and sisters room to see if there were any good toys to swipe or if they were awake too. They were both fast asleep and there was nothing of interest to swipe so I sauntered downstairs and asked if I could make a hot chocolate. “No problem” said my Dad so I made it and went back up to my room. After I had got into bed I focused on a mass of green lines that had been drawn on my wall next to the door. My jaw must have dropped as I was completely speechless. I just knew that it had to be my younger brother so I stormed into his room and switched the light on and really shouted at him. But I had to back off. I could see at a glance that he was totally away with the faries and not about to wake up because of my rantings. Maybe he sleptwalked ? I looked closer and more calmly and could see that he had not moved at all. His head and hands were in exactly the same position. ‘Helen’ I thought. I marched into her room and again switched the light on. I was really starting to panic at this point as again, she had not bdged an inch. One leg was out the duvet and her hand under her pillow on the same side as she had been ten minutes before. I went back to my room and just had to assume that they had slept walked and meant no harm. Then I worked out that whoever had made these lines had used a felt tip pen off my window sill and there were at least three to four hundred of these straight lines each no longer than a mans finger and no two lines criss crossed. But what really frightened me was the realisation that these lines went all the way to the roof. There is no way that Helen or Philip could have reached that high. Oh my, I just flew down them stairs and asked my Dad to help. He did come and wash the wall and got rid of the marks but he didnt say a word.

He could probably have seen that I was very shaken. We never spoke about it again.

The Lifting Alabaster Vase

The landing outside my bedroom was a large area. I had to cross it in order to go to the bathroom or access anyone elses' bedroom but we are only talking about 6 to 12 footsteps in any direction so I never really felt isolated in any way. Until this particular night. My constant four legged companion called Dougal was a cross breed with one ear that always flopped down and he had parked himself on my bed as usual for the night. At around half one in the morning I was woken up.As I started to drift off again I heard a distinctive knock. I just shrugged it off and didnt really take any notice.

But a few minutes later I heard it again. By the third time it happened about five minutes had passed and I was sure I know what it was. On the window sill on the landing there was a small 8 inch tall alabaster vase with a velvet cushion to
prevent scratching on polished surfaces. The noise was this vase being slowly tapped on the window sill. It made a very distinctive noise as it was a heavy object on wood.

By now it had got my full attention. I decided to kick Dougal off the bed and hoped he would run out and find out what was going on or at least break the silence for me sop I could find the courage to switch the light on. Nope. No Way. This dog seemed to know exactly what was going on and he was going nowhere. As I tried to encourage him off the bed with my foot under the duvet his claws dug in hard to the bedding and he angled himself against my foot with his legs straight out towards the door. His head was up and cocked with one ear flopping down and all his attention focussed on the open doorway that led out onto the landing. The window was out of view but we could both hear exactly what was going on. I prayed that it would be my brother messing about or something but the grandfather clock downstairs kept chiming every fifteen minutes and on the hour through the night so I knew it wasnt anyone sleepwalking. I have no idea how long I was awake for and willing it all to stop but it did not. For hours this noise kept going. At some point I just passed out through sheer fear. No horror story I have ever seen on TV has even come close to the fear that was instilled into me that night.

The Man walking into My Room

When I was around 8 or 9 years old I was listening to my Gran reading both myself and my younger brother and my sister a bed time story. I cant say I was really into Puss In Boots at this age but she always read stories with such gusto and enthusiasm that I had to listen anyway. Its not like I could have concentrated on anything else at the time. As she read it I saw a tall lanky figure walk straight past the doorway and into my room. I was not entirely suprised as my teenage
brother had freinds round sometimes and I assumed it was one of them walking into the wrong room.

But then Gran put down the book and looked at us and asked “is it just me who saw someone walk into Michael's room or did anyone else just see it too ?” I agreed that I had. He had a blue and white hooped long sleeved top on and dark trousers and he was tall. At least 6 foot 4. Helen and Philip had their backs to the door so it was understandable that they missed it. So we all went tentatively into the rom calling out as we did so and peered around the door. Absolutely nobody was in that room. At last it wasnt just me who had witnessed this. Mum couldnt argue with her Mum could she ? But the silence continued and no one spoke about it again.

The Healing

Well as time moved on and I grew up my O-Levels came up when I was 16 I had to do quite a bit of revision in the early part of the summer at home so I spent many an afternoon up in my room revising. During this time my dog (called Dougal) was not doing so good. He was really my dog and never left my side when I was in the house. Instead of telling the whole story again, I would like to copy and paste an email that I sent to my younger brother last October 2015 Phil who now lives in Canada. I sent the email a few months ago but it tells the story well. It goes :

“How are you both doing ??

I wanted to write to tell you the tell end of a saga that's been in my mind for many years now.

Do you remember when I placed the crucifix around Dougal's neck on the day he was due to be put down when I was 16 ? He was due to be put down at 6.00 in the evening and this happened at lunchtime as I was revising after I had been expelled
from school at Ratcliffe and was now living at Highfield Close. I had been told by my buddy from Africa that he had blessed the crucifix, that I found on the floor at
Ratcliffe College, with a White Magic that had the power to change lives and bring good fortune if my back was really up against the wall and I had no where else to turn. I didnt quite believe him but I kinda really needed a miracle that day. I knew
he had only a few hours to live as he was so blind with cataract. He couldn't distinguish night from day and his eyes were completely clouded up.

I placed the crucifix around his neck and said a prayer and promised that if "he" helped me i would do something in return for him. But being a God - what could that be ??? lol. Nothing.... obviously...... but that was the deal. A few minutes
later I turned around and the dog was looking directly at me. I couldn't believe it.

I stood up and looked into his eyes and they were crystal clear black and brown. I was absolutely stunned. So was he !

So I slapped my leg and said "Downstairs now Dougie" and he ran like the wind and never missed a step or hit a wall. He was so blind before this he couldnt tell night from day and I had to carry him everywhere. Needles to say he lived well for another 4 years.

Well... was that just chance ??? Its been so many years even I began to question it.

Well... about a year ago me and Jane met a girl at our local who was diagnosed with terminal cancer. Everyone kinda felt sorry for her but what the heck can you say or do ??? Nothing really. She was so young at 23 and lost all her hair due to chemo and all she wanted to do was stay with everyone else and enjoy life until it was time to go to bed when her time came naturally.

One night I was having a cigarette out the door of the pub when I found her just crying her eyes out and asking God openly why she had to die. It was utterly heartbreaking to see. I spoke about this with Patrick and Jane and said I wanted to give her the crucifix. It was the only thing I could do. I knew that by doing this I would probably make a complete d*** of myself.

About a month later we met again and I spoke with her and her sisters and she explained that the cancer had reached her liver and it was no more than 12 weeks away which is what they said to Mum when that happened too. Jane said that at least she had time to wrap presents for her son to open when he was 18 and 21 etc.. even if she would not be here as he grew up. Which kinda was a bit crap really.

Anyway,,,, I explained that the crucifix that I had, had been blessed with White Magic by a freind from Africa and that maybe it was the only thing I had from my teenage years in my possession that could help her now. She had declined more chemo and just wanted to grow her hair again and stop taking the drugs and die in her own time with her family around her.

We agreed that I would give her the crucifix 7 weeks ago. Her mates were very defensive and said I was a well meaning fruit cake. lol. I did kinda feel it too. But I had to try having seen what it had done all those years before.

Well.... Guess what ???? Un-believable. Last night we were out and a lady came up to Jane and said " You know Jackie - the girl who Mike gave that crucifix to ? - She got the all clear from the hospital today. " We were both speechless.

I always did wonder if would work a second time and it did - in style.

Her Mum texted too and she is over the moon with the news.

How amazing is that ????

All the best bro - Mike

Mum has Seen it Too.

After leaving home I settled in Plymouth to do a 3 year art course and was having heaps of fun. One Saturday morning I got a call off my Mum. She explained that the previous evening she had freinds around for dinner. All us kids had left home by now so they could party all they wanted to. They were talking around the table and got onto the subject of ghosts and objects moving in the house. Mum explained to her friends that she had been listening to me over the years but had never really been convinced if I was telling the truth or not. However, her visitors asked to see my room upstairs. As she went to open the door shehad to ask for Dads help as it would not budge. He put his shoulder into it and got it open. Mum was horrified. She explained that only the day before she had tidied the room meticulously. The bookshelf had been thrown to the floor and was stopping the door from being opened. The bedding was in total disarray and a lamp that had a chinese porcelain man with a fishing rod had been smashed. Basically the room had been trashed and Mum knew that only her and my Dad had been in the house since it was cleaned the day before.

In a way it actually the best thing that could have happened. After that she knew I had not been lying all those years when I had been growing up and she also confided in me about things that both herself and Dad had seen too over the years.

Talking about these things helped me a lot and raising the subject was not an issue at all. Suddenly the wall of silence that had been up for so many years now lay in rubble between us and it was really good to exchange experiences and talk openly about them.

Well that's the end of my story. It covers a few years and if you actually took the time to read this I am happy too if you found some comfort in the things I have said and feel the same about your own experiences and that you are not completely alone or nuts.

All the best - Mikey Dee
Mikey Dee

Re: My Haunted Teenage Years Growing Up in Kenilworth UK

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:54 pm

Wow, some scary stuff, some unexplained stuff, and a couple of happy endings. I'd like to know, as you grew older and moved out on your own, if you experienced any other strange events elsewhere?

Did you ever do any checking into the background of the land that your house stood on-any records of previous buildings on the site?
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Scaramouche » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:24 pm

A really interesting series of events, and to have it confirmed by your folks that they had paranormal experiences when you were younger too seems to validate the things you have related here.

It would be great if you could share the experiences your parents shared with you.

Thank you for sharing this with us.
I can describe myself in five words. Intelligent, handsome, debonair, witty - NOT!!
Scaramouche

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:06 am

OMG, those are some quite extraordinary experiences, very interesting and thanks for posting!

I think I may know which house this is, if it is one of them that exists to the left of the castle walls if you are looking down toward the castle entrance from the Visitor Center and carpark? I noticed some houses on the far left...

Kenilworth is a fantastic castle, one of my favourites, and it has some remarkable history. The Tudor bit I like the best! Of course it was also under siege for a long time and very successfully held out. I imagine where your houses are were under the siege tool ..
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Reply to: My Haunted Teenage Years Growing Up in Kenilworth

Postby Mikey Dee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi Ghost In The Machine, Scaramouche and Spirit Bear,

Im amazed you took the time to read my account to be honest ! My dear Jane and son Patrick have read it too, but they have to actually see these things too to believe it. Well two things have happened recently which they witnessed, which is good.

Highfield Close.jpg

Firstly though, Ghost In The Machine, the houses which you saw - I do know them - but these events happened in "Woodlands", Highfield Close, (CV8 1QR on google Earth, the 4th house on the left as you enter the Close). The house is about 1000 meters as the crow flies to the em battlements) and i will try to upload a photo for you. The bedroom I was in when the Alabaster vase started lifting up and down was above the front door and the window was above the bay window on the left hand side. You can see the garage too. Nothing has changed much about the house since I left in 2005. It was lowland and still is.. naturally very marshy and boggy so it is understandable why nothing was built there until the 1970's when we could drain the land effectively. Kenilworth Castle is a great place and we spent many an evening there having climbed over the wall. We even spent a whole night once on the very top tower and watched the sunrise.

Hi Scaramouche, nice to hear from you. My mother eventually admitted to me that the day she moved in (in 1971/2) she was walking past the front door from one room to another. As she past the door she heard a distinctive knock at the door. As if someone was deliberately knocking. But she was next to the door. She could see through the frosted glass that no one was there or either side of it. But she opened it anyway and had to close it again when no one was there. She said she was not scared but she never forgot it. After my Mum had the room trashed after I left home she had the house exorcised by a priest in around 1986. Nothing more happened until 2005 ... the very same day we put the "For Sale" sign up outside. My Mum had died in 2003 and I was living with my Dad as I was going through a divorce at the time. The day the sign went up I noticed small things starting to happen in the house (like big temperature changes, doors rattling like crazy for no reason when I was cooking in the kitchen) and I mentioned this to Dad at breakfast. He just looked at me and said "I know"......"last night I heard you come upstairs and go to and walk past my bedroom when I was reading. Then I heard the front door close and lock and you came upstairs and walk past my room and went to bed". He just was not fussed at all !!!

Hi Spirit Bear, there are no maps that date earlier than about 1850 but I can be sure it was marshland and ponds were frequent. Fishponds Road is very to Highfield Close and I understand that fish were kept here to feed the royalty and gentry that stayed and lived at the castle. Not much happens these days but there have been a few incidents in the last 5 years. I would like to share one with you. Last September I attended my cousins party "Southwinds", Cryfield Grange in Gibbet Hill just outside Kenilworth. About 50 people attended the party and most had my own surname. It was in a marquee in the back garden and it was really good fun. At around 11:00pm I played guitar on stage with a young lady who is somehow related to me but I cant remember how. I played "Joleen" and she sang it. Jane my partner took two photos. The first is as it should have been. The second was just in case the first was rubbish. But as you can see it looks as if there is someone walking between us. But none of my 3 children or Jane or any of my cousins who were there that night can say who this person was. "She" looks very like the "Man Who Walked into My Room" ... a blue and white hooped top with leggings. But no head and no feet. The camera is Nokia Lumina with no shutter speed control at all and my 20 year old daughter who was next to Jane when she took the photos has no recollection of anyone walking past as Jane took the photos.

Its been really good talking to you guys. Catch you soon, Mikey Dee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mikey Dee

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:31 pm

Thank you so much Mikey Dee, that was brilliant being able to read so many of your experiences one after the other. Thanks for taking the time to write them here.

That photo is very strange, the one with the stripes. I wonder if anyone else on this forum has ever seen anything similar.

You're a great storyteller, if you have any other stories, I'd love to hear them.
Chatelaine

Postby Mikey Dee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:14 pm

well there is one that really stands out that happened about 4 years ago. I will post it tomorrow as it takes a bit to set it down on paper and I have just had a beer while Im cooking so I will post it tomorrow. It was witnessed by two other people and went on for about 50 minutes. Well there are loads to be honest. But Im really looking to read about your experiences to be honest. I just like the feeling that Im not completely alone or totally bonkers.

The one I will post tomorrow will be called "Abbey". She is a girl who died when she was 21 in her mums lounge. Her Mum (Heather) is a friend of mine and one night Abbey came to say "hello".

PS - I used to listen to that song "Seasons in The Sun" when I was abut 8 in the back of the car when I was being driven to school. Good song albeit sad. Once my younger brother Phil put my pet mouse in a lunchbox with holes in it while that song was playing. He opened the lid to show me and the mouse escaped. OMG ! the car was an MG sports car... Mrs Richardson who was driving me and Philip and her own two sons nearly lost control of the car. Ha ha. I was in such deep poo poo that day.
Mikey Dee

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:30 pm

Ah, yeah I see this isn't the house I was thinking about. It doesn't look that old! So I'm wondering who the spirit could have been? Did you ever have any clues, anything about the history of the house itself? Or maybe it was indeed something to do with the history of the land, even the fishpond area? I do know the castle was under siege for a long time, and successfully held it off, so there would have been a lot of activiity in the area around it for that duration. And, lord knows what else happened in any part of this space over the 800 or so years it was occupied.

I have to say that's a really fabulous story about the cross you had, the one that had been blessed or had the magic from Africa applied to it. How wonderful what happened to your beloved dog, that was lovely! And the girl who survived cancer.... brilliant!

You are lucky to have lived around Kenilworth and to have got in to do the all-nighter that time, ... it is a really stunning castle with a very special history! I have visited it once, but intend to again as the last time I came there I stayed outside holding the dogs so others could go in, and I didn't actually get in the keep. Also, I think the upstairs sections where Elizabeth I had her rooms has recently been made accessibly by added stairways.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:31 am

If you've got any stories about your castle I'd love to hear them too ;-) I love castle stories
Chatelaine

Abbey Comes Home To Say Hello

Postby Mikey Dee » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:37 pm

As promised I will recount briefly about something that happened about 4 years ago in 2012.

I was single at the time and spent a lot of time on dating sites and trying to get myself hitched, but as usual when it comes to maters of the heart, the more I try, the more elusive love seems to become. Once though I met a lady called Heather. We used to chat for hours online but because she was almost 20 years my senior I never really felt that we were going to become lovers so I just enjoyed our time together. "Give yourself a break" I thought to myself and just enjoy friendship for what it is. She lived only a few miles away from me in Coventry so getting together to swap stories and sink a bottle of wine once a week was easy and fun.

One evening she had her best friend round and it was just the three of us whiling away the evening in her front room with me on the floor in front of the gas fire and Heather and her friend on the sofas.

Suddenly there was a loud "pop" next to me. It was my wine glass. Thankfully there was very little wine in it but I assume the fire had expanded the glass and the heat caused it to suddenly shatter into maybe a hundred or so tiny fragments with the main stem of the glass still standing. "That wasn't you Mike" said Heather. "I was watching that and no one touched it."

Clearly there was nothing amazing about that but it was odd. Almost immediately the temperature dropped quite suddenly in one particular area. I could feel that something really cold was moving from where the glass had been and was drifting towards Heather. The cold air was about the size of a football and as it moved away from me Heather could feel it approaching her and it settled next to her. It was really quite fun. We could all feel it and it moved again towards Heather's friend and then back to me. It did this for no less than 50 minutes. When it had finished I asked how long it had been and we all agreed about 50 mins. Its a bit like a football made of ice very close to you. We could feel a temperature drop but when it actually made contact with our skin or clothes the temperature was really really cold. Not like ice touching but certainly as if I had stuck my hand in the freezer. I am sure it was that first temperature drop that caused the glass to shatter next to the fire.

Don't forget the fire was still raging away all of this time. We all agreed that this HAD to be a spirit and the only spirit it possibly could be was Abbey. Twenty years previously Abbey had come to her mums house and lay down in that same front room and said she had a really bad headache and just wanted to lie down and sleep it off. The next day at work the police called for Heather at work to tell her that Abbey had died in her sleep and that her brother had found her. She was only 21 and dies of meningitis.

There is a picture of Abbey at the top of Heather's staircase. She was clearly a very attractive and vivacious girl who probably didn't even know she had died. I always say hello to her photo when I walk past now. "She used to come round here and cause lots of trouble for me when she was living" said Heather smiling to herself afterwards. "Old habits die hard obviously".

How heartbreaking for both mother and daughter but how fantastic too that she may have actually come round to join in the fun for an hour and that we knew who she was.
Mikey Dee

Next

Return to Paranormal & Ghostly Experiences