UFO's over County Durham - 23 August 2008

Here you can discuss those fringe topics such as UFOs, Aliens & Abductions, otherworldly beings & entities, cryptozoology & Bigfoot. We'd like to hear evidence for and against, & what you believe.

UFO's over County Durham - 23 August 2008

Postby Chatelaine » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:37 pm

The strangest thing happened to myself and a friend on the night of Saturday 23rd August 2008, at around 9.25 p.m. We were on our way to an investigation in County Durham, when I noticed in the distance a formation of orange lights in the sky. At first I thought it was weird that a group of helicopters would be flying in formation, with such unusual coloured glowing lights. It was weirder still when I realised that the lights were not moving, but were perfectly still, suspended in space. There were 6 of them and they appeared quite large in the sky, hovering directly over the A1.

I must admit, that even after a few seconds, I realised that these lights were odd and I became scared. They never moved their positions and we watched them clearly as we came closer to them. They looked as though they were only hovering at a few hundred feet perhaps, as we drove right unerneath them. For the few seconds we were beneath them, I looked right up at the lights. They were very large flame orange, solid balls of light, as perfectly spherical underneath as they were from the front. As we passed under them, I kept them in my sights and could see them in their fixed positions behind us, as we continued along the A1.

I cannot explain or even offer an idea of what they could have been. This is the most unusual and inexplicble experience I have ever had and I truly feel that what I saw was very strange and possibly other worldly.

I have trawled the net to see if I could find anyone else who had seen the same lights as we saw over County Durham. Although I couldn't find any other witnesses, I found that our experience was not a solitary one. In fact, many people from all over the world are having almost identical experiences, right now!

I've found this footage which is almost identical to what we saw, however, the lights were in a different formation. You will notice how the lights do not twinkle or hover, but are perfectly still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48wCParVbH8

It will remain the biggest mystery of my life and also the most annoying. I have always wanted to capture something of note and here was my chance, unfortunately, it wasn't to be as I didn't have any of my recording equipment with me, not even my mobile phone.

What do you think everyone? Personally I am very concerned as so many people all over the world have seemingly seen the same thing. With all the films and fantasy about aliens and UFO's most of us would never take the subject seriously. But seeing what I have and watching real footage which ordinary people like you and I have taken has made me think. Do we need to be worried?
Chatelaine

Re: UFO's over County Durham

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Well, I have to say I was the friend who was with Chatelaine during this incident, and I have to say this is exactly the way it happened. I was driving the car at the time so didn't get a direct look under them like she did, but I saw them for at least 10 minutes as we approached and as we shot under them. We were on our way to a ghost investigation in Ferryhill at the time, little did we know this was to be the best experience of the night and one to remember for life.

When Chatelaineand I returned back to my house, we sent an email off to Alan Robson at Metro Radio (Newcastle) and he read it out, asking if anyone else had seen them. I was amazed to hear no one call in, as there MUST have been loads of folk who saw them on the A1.

This is my version of the story, cut and paste from that email:

" On evening of 23rd August 2008 my friend and I were driving to Ferryhill, County Durham. Something bizarre happened to us on our way there, on the A1, and we are wondering if anyone else had an experience like this or saw anything odd around the area.

As we approached Ferryhill around 9:20pm, we saw about 6 or 7 bright lights in the sky, quite large, and orange in colour, very bright. At first we assumed they were aircraft or helecopters, but they were in a particular formation that wasnt changing as we approached. We got nearer and they still didn't change at all, and were above the A1. Eventually, we got closer and then passed right under them, they seemed to be just a few 100 feet above us, - we passed under them very quickly whereas if they had been high up it would have taken a long time for us to move under.

It was one of the most strange things that has happened to us. There were about 5 of them directly above us over the A1, and several more to the right. My friend was very scared and just told me to put my foot down and get away from them. There were a lot of cars passing under them like we were, so we are wondering if anyone else saw them, or if there were any reports generally. We would be amazed if there were not. We then took the turn off the A1 and got to Ferryhill.

We have absolutely no clue what could cause this, they were like bright flames of orange, but they had no flicker like fire, and were static in the sky in a certain pattern. They were quite large and bright. They didn't change formation for about 10 minutes, as we could see them in the distance and they didn't change from first sighting them or until we passed under, and they stayed in sight pretty much all the way up the A1. We were discussing what they were for quite a while before we passed under them, and it was as we finally arrived at their location that my friend was freaked and we just shot right below them. Shame we had our camcorders and cameras in the boot!! "
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:45 pm

My goodness Ali, that has to be the weirdest most life changing thing that has happened to me. A close second is the Crown Inn poltergeist, but that's another story!

I still can't get over it and every time I see a Chinese lantern in the sky I can't understand how authorities have the cheek to offer them as an explanation to the thousands of people worldwide who have witnessed the same thing as us. Mind you, I'm not eager to know what is was we saw, it wasn't of this world that is for sure.
Chatelaine

Postby TheTekSpook » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:37 am

I remember you talking about this in the night in question chantalaine and know you were very freaked out by the incident as anyone would be .

Im not sure what it would of been but i know my little neck of the woods UFO Sightings are getting more common , my late uncle who passed away a few years ago used to film them from his house and go up on the fell on clear nights and film them there too .

He always used to send me articles about ufo's as he knew i was well into anything paranormal .
Not long ago there was actually a few sightings in haydon bridge , my friend who works for the newspaper was telling me they always get reports about them .
TheTekSpook

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:24 pm

OMG hun, I wonder why your neck of the woods should be such a hotspot? :shock:

I find all of this terrifying personally, as I know that UFO's actually exist now, I have no doubts on the subject anymore, I wish I did, but I don't. But why County Durham? Mind you we've had our fair share down here too apparently. I remember Karen from Bristol seeing unusual craft in the sky around the same time I had my experience up near Ferryhill. I hope she puts her story on here about that sometime. An UFO was spotted over Cardiff and chased by the police helicopter over to Bristol. Damned scary stuff!
Chatelaine

Postby TheTekSpook » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:15 pm

Really not sure why County Durham / Northumberland way but seems alot more things going on :s
I know sometimes when i drive back from carlys on a night i sometimes think i see things but then remember i have to keep an eye on the road in front of me lol .
TheTekSpook

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 pm

I've just made reference to this experience to our new member Midnight. This is the most frightening thing that has ever happened to me, I will never be the same again after seeing what I saw that night :shock:
Chatelaine

Postby Midnight » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Thank you, well, all I can say is how lucky you were, I would love to actually see for myself something of this nature.

To date, all I have to go on are media reports and the odd film on places like you tube.

I totally believe Roswell and other stories are fact and that it was covered up for whatever reason. I also believe the earth has been visited by aliens since the earliest times.
The truth ALWAYS comes out in the end.
Midnight

Postby Winnie » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Great story i too feel that we are not alone and i am not convinced that they are all fluffy Bunny Aliens :shock: I have had a number of sightings but none of them were confirmed or validated. So it is good to hear that other people have seen the orange ball too.

My orange sphere encounter was VERY close and the size of it was enormous so no wonder you were scared driving below 6 or 7 of them wow :shock: wow
Winnie

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:00 pm

It's something I will never get over Winnie! :shock: There is a small part of me that is pleased that I witnessed them, as it confirmed 100% to me that we are being visited by crafts from other places, heaven knows where! However, as you all know, I will never be the same again and I wish I hadn't seen something that made fantasy turn into reality. :cry:
Chatelaine

Next

Return to Other Beings Among Us? - Debate UFOs, Aliens, Angels, Demons, & Bigfoot