Re: This site

Latest announcements and news from the www.EverythingGhost.Co.UK team

Postby MrBirdz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:10 pm

Things must be bad? when you can't even get a backlash to that sort of post!
MrBirdz

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:43 pm

[flash=][/flash]
MrBirdz wrote:Things must be bad? when you can't even get a backlash to that sort of post!

Of course not, when people don't bother to read what's here!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Scaramouche » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:11 pm

I have to hold my hand up, here, as I've only visited the site spasmodically since I joined - but it's not as a result of lack of interest.

The last 12 months or so have seen some of my other interests explode into action out of the blue after being as dead as a doornail for nigh on fifteen years. To be honest, I am amazed that I am suddenly in demand again after such a long time; but the downside is, of course, so little time to use the internet. It's not just EG that has been affected; but I rarely post in facebook now and I can't even remember the last time I posted on twitter!

EG is an excellent site for many reasons, with a plethora of information, resource material, interesting topics and a fine collection of personal experiences to name but a few; but what it lacks - as Spirit Bear has pointed out - is the regular participation of it's members in the sites activities i.e. primarily posting. Posting is the life blood of any forum and if a majority of members do not participate - even on a irregular basis - the perhaps it's time to consider a cull of those members who have been with site the longest but who have not engaged in any part of it for some considerable time.

This may sound drastic; but if an announcement was made informing members that a cull was being considered then it may be enough to 'inspire' more members to start taking an active role of some sort in the site. It may even be worth considering sending out an 'All Members' announcement by email relating to the same subject so that all members are notified (whether they plan to visit the site soon or not); but I don't know whether admin might be in a position to do this.

It may seem bizarre that I'm suggesting the use of what amounts to 'scare tactics' on a site devoted to ghosts; but a majority of the membership needs to be woken up a bit, I.M.O. and sooner rather than later. Failure to consider some kind of action now may not lead to the imminent death of EG; but it could have a serious impact on the effectiveness of any action taken in the future.
I can describe myself in five words. Intelligent, handsome, debonair, witty - NOT!!
Scaramouche

Postby MrBirdz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:27 pm

great idea......lets start by burning all the non posting Witches!

Oh, is that too radical?

Seriously.....the probability is that many people live in their phone apps these days and web sites are simply falling by the wayside? I don't really know? but what I do know is that the few people I talk to on here are very passionate about this subject, does that in reality mean all the millions of PNIs only a tiny fraction really have more than a fleeting interest?
MrBirdz

Postby Spirit Bear » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:46 am

Actually, there is a "culling" of those "yellows" who have never posted, especially when they have been here for at least a year. But when this occurs is at the Admin's discretion.

Those people who don't post for whatever reason are missing out on one of the more interesting areas-the Off-Topic Forum. You have to make at least one post to get into that area. Sad that people can't be bothered to even introduce themselves, and get the benefits of reading a whole new section of this Forum.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: This site is dying

Postby Thebogeyman » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes , admit guilty as charged with this one when I used to post regularly and contribute to Ghostpod but with members personal circumstances change such as mine with more work responsibilities and new family members on board so time to come on the forum is limited now.

As you are aware I am within the sceptical camp and having spent time on the front line with groups I found it very interesting engaging with folk on the other side of the fence .... but it has been a double edged sword and have to admit becoming wearied of the subject and taken a sabbatical from it all.

Apologies but have to be candid with you all.

I will endeavour to post in the future as requested as I certainly dont want the forum to collapse and have in the past directed folk to this forum who did attempt to post frequently from what I witnessed.
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Re: This site is dying

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:41 pm

Well, thank you very much for your compliments (Scaramouche) :)

I have to say though, this site will not die or disappear unless I feel the inclination to press the button to delete it :-D

And I have no plans to do so.

I agree that over the years a tremendous data base of information, stories, expereinces, and great links to other sites, videos and cases have accumulated. So, it is valuable. It's also a great place to dip into, read a bit, post a bit... etc.

Unfortunately many members, me included, have just not had the time to come in and spend a huge amount of time on it like we used to, but have just dipped in. There are so many other demands.
I know SpiritBear is aggrieved about this, but not all of us are retired like he is with all the time in the world to spend in recreation on here, and it's just a matter of time and other priorities for many of our members.

So, I'm afraid it won't necessarily change drastically, at least not while a lot of us are busy.

I may delete some of the members who have hardly ever posted, but I won't delete any others even if they haven't posted in a long time, as there's no reason to. As long as they are genuine members and people who are really interested in ghosts, not robots or spammers. If they don't post, they don't do any harm by not doing so. If they do post, great... you never know, they may also come back and dabble occasionally.

As you can see, I'm pretty relaxed about it. People can come in if they want to, if they don't want to, they don't have to feel forced to. No amount of threats or "or else you're deleted" will make any difference in my opinion. But the forum is staying here for the foreseeable future ;-)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:03 am

By the way, I have taken the decision to remove the first post and change the name of the thread. Not because I am offended by it or it breaks rules, but merely because I do think anyone new viewing the forum is extremely unlikely to join if there are posts saying it's dead or dying or about to be closed, none of which is correct.
Basically, posts like that act as a repellant.

I have been saying this for years about posts re the chatroom and forum which are negative about the amount of people regularly visiting: - the forum is here as a resource, use it if you want, post if you want as part of your recreation. But if you don't, and you have little time to spare, that's also Ok and members are free to browse the threads or just dip in once in a rare blue moon of they so wish. All members who keep the basic rules are welcome.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby ThatZealousOne » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:43 pm

People make accounts to lurk a lot of the time. Not to post, just watch and see. Most people are flaky though and unless they are super involved in a topic then they will forget about it. This is my experience.
ThatZealousOne

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks for that. Yes, have run this site for many years now and I know what you are saying.

However, lurkers or not, they don't do any harm just by watching and not posting. If someone is enjoying the site then that's fine by me. And, in fact, all the posts are public anyway so it's pointless just being a lurker, as they can do that without joining the membership.

I really don't see any benefit in deleting people.

If they have never posted, or just joined and done nothing, yes I usually get rid of those.

You can, however, rest assured that every single person who applies is scrutinized and put through filters to see if they are a spammer or a bot, and they don't get approved if they are.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements