Everything Ghost in 2012

Latest announcements and news from the www.EverythingGhost.Co.UK team

Everything Ghost in 2012

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 pm

Well.we are now two years and a month old. We have gone a long way in many respects,but have not really met our true expectations in many others.

On a positive note is the influx of new members who are truly interested in being on the Forums,reading,responding,and creating new threads. Bravo,keep it up! But,having said that,I ask again:where are the rest of you? It is not right that a good 75% of the membership of this site can't be bothered to at least come in and say hello? Don't forget,this is YOUR site,but no site can last long if the membership(all of it)doesn't take an active part in its' up-keep.

Our investigations at the Skirrid Inn and St. Briavels were fantastic,and give us two more sites that we can visit again and again. Sadly,tho,we will not be able to do the Crown Inn in Lewes,UFN,maybe for good,as the owner has been having problems with hooligans running riot in the place. Hopefully,she will solve the problems,so that we can get back in there.

We are also glad to have two more serious investigators with us,Pete and Jeff,who bring a sense of camaraderie and humor to keep us on our toes.

Lastly,we need more of you to start showing up on Sunday nights in the Chat Room. This is a great place with a lot of potential,but so far,except for a few stalwarts,this has been a resounding flop. We know 9 PM at night is a bad time for many of you,but it seems to be the only really viable night for this effort. So,please,make an effort to pop in every so often,even if it is just to say hello.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: Everything Ghost in 2012

Postby Thebogeyman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Very impassioned plea there Tom , hopefully it works out .... sadly from my own experience once members have moved off for some time for what ever reason then very very rarely will they return.

Have noticed a number of new members also but no posts ... hopefully we can entice them out of the dark. Realise it can be daunting making that first post to total strangers but if you are reading this folks , please dont be reluctant as you will be made most welcome as I have been.
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Thebogeyman wrote:
Have noticed a number of new members also but no posts ... hopefully we can entice them out of the dark. Realise it can be daunting making that first post to total strangers but if you are reading this folks , please dont be reluctant as you will be made most welcome as I have been.

Well put,Ken. I know many members who join such sites may be a little reluctant to post their views,ideas,opinions,etc. This may be due to shyness,fear of being ridiculed(believe me,that is NOT,and never will be allowed on this site!),perhaps they are newbies to the world of the para-normal,and don't know how to express themselves as such? Don't worry about it! We pretty much are all newbies here,ready to teach and to learn,and new viewpoints are always invaluable and respected,even if some or all may not agree with what was posted. Debates(healthy and respectful)and dialogue are the lifeblood of any forum such as this,otherwise how would new ideas ever get a hearing?
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:00 pm

Tom, I must say it will be a 2 year anniversary near Xmas, as the forum was opened to the public Dec 2010 & was under construction before then. I will have to find the exact date it was opened to the public, have it on a calendar somewhere.

I have been wondering for a while if I should make the threads unviewable to new members until they have actually posted at least once.

At the moment, they can view everything on the forum as soon as they join, but they can only post in the new members section, and once the have done so they can post elsewhere.

Another forum I am on has it set up so a new member cannot see any material on the forum until they start posting, because otherwise they just "spectate" and don't join in.

It could be many of these new members just join then sit there reading stuff but don't post.

What do you reckon?

It's true that we have had literally dozens & dozens of members join but not post - there usernames stay in "yellow" until they post something. We have about 4 members like that now, I usually email them several times asking them to come in and post, we'd love to hear from them etc etc, but if they don't post after a month I delete them.

Also, what do you think may be turning them off contributing once they have joined? Be honest!

Would appreciate any feedback!

I do think that forums were much more popular about 4 years ago or more, and probably have been overtaken by things like Facebook.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Al:I can't really say why new members don't post,other than the reasons I have given. Another one that comes to mind is,and I don't say this to be insulting,is that many people simply don't know how to write properly. By that,I mean they don't how to spell very well,or how to construct a sentence(punctuation,etc)and they are embaressed by this. We don't care about that,say what you want to say in your own way,it's OK. This is a para-normal site,not English Composition 101.

I think you are right in your plan to bar newbies from reading anything on the site until they post in the New Members thread. This is a website and a forum,not a library. It should not fall on the shoulders of a few to do all the posting-eventually those few are going to get resentful that others are not pulling their fair share. They may just stop posting altogether,or even leave the site,which would be a disaster.
Spirit Bear

Postby Kroll1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:31 am

There are many aspects to the case. I have for years been on many different forums on various topics, and what you describe Tom is the same problem everywhere.
Personally, I go to and from for periods, simply because my life in a way so I can not be here as often as I really want. I often read on the page, but do not always comment because I, for various reasons, do not have time to respond properly and thorough, and I prefer not to write, than simply writing a single line or two that not really say anything.
As for the chat, it's not for me - I do not like to chat, so I skip that part ;)

Of course it is wonderful with a forum with many members, but what makes Everything Ghost good in my opinion is that it is not too large (but admitted there could be more who posted some more including myself)
The members here are more friends than simply commentators, and those of you who know each other IRL, are good to include us that do not know you in "the real world", that rarely happens on large fora where there often are factions and dissension.
I can honestly say that this is the best and friendliest forum I've seen - Here are good debates and stories from people who are passionate, there is respect for people's differences of opinion and there is a good atmosphere, that is rare in places like this!

There are certainly many who do not write for the reasons Tom mentions and in those cases it is important that the members here are good to write in people's introduction threads (if they write one) it can help to give those who are shy, the confidence to write in other threads.

There will always be people who join everything without wanting to participate (strange but true) and that is part of having a forum, but I think it would be a bad idea if one can not read everything before one have posted.
Personally I would not even have considered to join if I could not read everything, and then decide if it was a place for me. I've encountered forums that was set up in that way and I don't even bother to read the little I can read such places!

As Alison writes is a lot of the activity which was previously on forums, now shifted to facebook, people simply do not have time or desire to do both. I've seen several forums shut down for that reason :(

What can be done to get people to write more? It is a good question, and there probably is no clear answer to that.
I must point out that people are generally good at giving responses in here, but I've personally experienced a few times were I had written posts and threads that I hoped that some of you would comment on, but it did not happen, and then the enthusiasm drops.
This is not criticism but an observation. I know that all of you just as I, have other things to do and one can quickly forget a thread you wanted to reply to, or simply just not commenting on everything because there are other things to do, I guess we all to some extend do that.

To attract more active members, we could perhaps contact various interest groups in the field, telling how fabulous Everything Ghost is, and ask politely if we can be allowed to have a little message or article posted on their website.
It would be perfect to do some "press material" (which are not too long) and send it to the ghost-hunter groups, blogs and other websites such as "paranormal.about.com" and tell about the fantastic podcasts and the excellent forum!

It was a rather long post, but my opinion in short:
You are doing it really good - You have the same problem as all other forums and there is probably not much to do about it, except to let time pass and hope that over time there will come more dedicated members. It can take many years to get many members on a forum.
The answer is 42........... ALWAYS 42!!
Kroll1

Postby Kroll1 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:42 am

And there we go again - I had planned to spend the morning reading and commenting, but thats just not gonna happen :(
I have a busy weekend, but guess I will be back monday-tuesday - See ya ;)
The answer is 42........... ALWAYS 42!!
Kroll1

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:43 am

Thank you very much for your very kind comments Brian, that's really nice what you said about this forum and I hope it will always stay this way that the forum is friendly and even if we disagree we can debate and just put all points of view, whether skeptical or believers in any phenomena.

I must admit to having neglected the posts sometimes, not out of disinterest but because as you say there are many things to do ina day and sometimes it's not possible to always be here in a dedicated way every day. But, be assured that I have a list of all the posts I have not yet answered or even read and will definitely catch up, - especially to those of interesting members such as yourself Brian, Ken, Vicky and Caz (even though we don't always agree! ;) ).

Tom, I think it may be that Brian could be right: really interested people will look over a forum and decide "this is, or isn't for me" and will then post if it's on their wavelength. I really like to think the topics and threads here are for intelligent folk interested in the paranormal and really wanting to share views, not for the thrill seekers or those into the paranormal for the razzmatazz of a "jolly on a spooky night out" that we all know happens on some "ghost hunts". No, we like to attract members that are seriously interested in it, so maybe if they see these posts they will feel inclined to join in.

I think you are also right that it takes time to wander the internet and make the forum known, promote it to other PNI groups and websites etc, and maybe there is more that can be done that way.

We ALSO need to get the next Ghostpod out!! We tend to get members from the listenership, and not having one out since January (I think it was) doesn't help. Must get onto Jane about that one!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Thebogeyman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:17 pm

Maybe the experience of a relative "newbie" here is of benefit to you regards this issue.

I had left a previous forum due to the lack of serious posting and dwindling membership also due to conflict with other members over how views were expressed ( it was felt that we sceptics were far to forceful in our posts which I would continue to defy but hey ho ).

Anyway after trawling the net came across this site and was more than happy with the content and tone of debate and the fact you stick to the subject matter at hand. The members are friendly and approachable and you are able to discuss & post on matters without anybody taking offence but will respond in the same spirit as intended.

To be honest Alison I believe you have it just right here and would not to diversify. If it is paranormal "froth" that people are after there are forums aplenty out there that will cater to their needs.

If you want my opinion I would keep the forum the way it is ..... as you have said Alison if the subject matter & tone / content interests them they will stay and join in with you otherwise they will move onto something else. Think the phrase " be careful what you wish for " comes to mind.

Interesting regards replying to posts as there a few I have put in and there is no response but be assured I am not insulted or down about that ..... as Vicki will testify I am a prolific poster when I get the chance and do try to respond to any new posts I come across .... otherwise I have a lot of catch up on here with all the stuff that has been generated over the 2 years you have been around and hope to open up new threads on matters as time allows.

Regards Ghostpod ..... my apologies as I am well overdue but finding a quiet period in Bogeyman Mansions is like finding ghosts ( he he ) .... promise faithfully to get something across in the near future.

Thanks for the compliment Alison ..... not often the words "Ken" and "Intelligent" are in the same sentence.
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby karen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:48 pm

As the song says "Don't go changing"!!!
karen

Next

Return to Announcements