Everything Ghost in 2012

Latest announcements and news from the www.EverythingGhost.Co.UK team

Re: Everything Ghost in 2012

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:55 pm

[quote="Thebogeyman"]Maybe the experience of a relative "newbie" here is of benefit to you regards this issue.

I had left a previous forum due to the lack of serious posting and dwindling membership also due to conflict with other members over how views were expressed ( it was felt that we sceptics were far to forceful in our posts which I would continue to defy but hey ho ).(unquote)

Ken,you bring back some memories with this comment. Jane,Al,and I,along with a few others here,first met on a MH fan site,where it was forbidden(yes,forbidden!)to say anything bad about the show or the crew members. Well,such an approach is one that I,as a brash,opinionated,big-mouthed New Yorker,could not and would not tolerate. I was just then realizing that the show was a staged farce,not legit PN investigating,and I was not slow in voicing my beliefs. After I refused to retract my comments or apologize for them,I was kicked off that site for life(didn't bother me in the least,I've been kicked out of better places than that!) Jane,Al,and another friend promptly left the site and we formed our first version of EG that night. We then nipped back to the old site and persuaded about 15 of their best posters to come with us,which they did. That site is no longer in business by the way.

Some sites are like that-they can't tolerate any straying from the party line,and apostates and critics like myself are not welcome. That is why such sites don't last too long-where there is only one side to the story,how can healthy discussion and debate take place?
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Thu May 16, 2013 1:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:09 pm

Well, thank you for all your comments, and I got it that you don't want to change anything.

I agree that it's better to get quality communication with a few members rather than dozens or hundreds of one-off posts that don't really contribute much to the discussion.

It's developing into a good community, albeit small, so maybe we will attract a few more like minded folk who just want to discuss PNI subjects, no matter what their views.

Tom,I agree that opinions should be allowed, - so long as the general forum rules are kept on language & another things, and no one is insulting rude & instead everyone accepts others have a view keeping it friendly & tolerant.

It's OK for members to believe what you want about this stuff and say it on here. Just don't expect everyone else to agree & let them have their say back too without nullifying them, that's all. :D
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Al,you seem to be implying that I am not letting other members have their say on the site. I don't know where you got that idea,but it is 100% incorrect. Yes,I know that I can be,and am,pushy,opinionated,brash,arrogant(and none of that will ever change!)but I have never denied anybody on any site that I've been on,their right to say and think what they feel,no matter how much I might disagree with it. I am a firm believer in Voltaire's remark:"I do not agree with what you say,but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Oops!, no that was read entirely wrongly Tom. When I said the word "you" I meant the general "you" (as in "one") and I wasn't referring to yourself Tom at all but to everyone can comment their opinions but so long as they are tolerant of other views. No, I was saying that I agreed with your comments that opinions should be allowed! (so long as they are not inflamatory or rude but are friendly and repectful to other views that may come back).
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:22 pm

BTW on the security, spamming etc: I am now told I should not have deleted the "Anonymous" user. If any of you have problems getting on this forum (obvious if you can see this post you did though, but in future) please let me know by email via the main website if you can't get on this forum.

Apparently i need to take steps to get that Anonymous user name back!

I did find a way to check this or or any website for infiltration using this link called www.sitecheck.sucuri.net

The result for everythingghost was negative and it's currently clean, as per here:

http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/www ... host.co.uk

If anyone spots anything to the contrary, please let me know.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 am

Hello people!

Well, when I first looked over your forum I found interesting topics, varying points of view and friendly posts, so that was a good basis on which to stick around for a bit.

Yes, although I know I sometimes have a very different viewpoint to many of you, I find the fact that here we can discuss, disagree, debate etc and still be 'forum' friends most refreshing! Believe it or not (and I know you will all find this very difficult to believe ;) ) I have been deleted off of many a forum over the years for having a sceptical point of view, or for daring to give an alternative explanation to alleged paranormal phenomena...and I must admit your forum was most probably my last attempt to discuss this most interesting subject, before I gave up altogether! There's only so many times you can hear 'my (dust) orb is aunt Mary' without getting a little despondent...

I have generally found you all welcoming and friendly and believe the balance is just right here.

Can I ask though, if you are having enough input to keep the forum interesting and lively, do you really need every member contributing?

The reason I ask is that, although I know you sometimes get forum trolls, there will probably be a majority of people who are just too busy in their work life to take time posting something of interest, and rather than just post one liners, which don't really add anything to the conversation, prefer not to post at all, but who may gain a lot from reading other's points of view.

On this point, I have to say that a friend of mine who joined this forum a few months ago, and who genuinely doesn't have time to post, but does have time to read briefly, was advised he may be deleted if he didn't contribute. I do think this is a little severe, as I know he struggles to find time to blink most of the time. After I told him what a friendly forum this was, I have to say I felt a little embarrassed this had happened.

Myself, I have a new job starting in September, it'll be shift work so finding time to post will become more difficult, and I am someone who likes to take time explaining my point of view, so there may be a decrease in my posts after September, but that doesn't mean I won't be popping on from time to time, so I hope I don't find myself deleted one day!

I have noticed over the years though that there will always be people that flit from forum to forum, posting a few times more or less the same thing, possibly because they have very little knowledge on the subject. This happens everywhere.

I do hope to meet you guys one day on an invo, but I gather you are based all over the UK so that may be a little difficult...nevertheless I will try!

Basically I feel your forum works, you have nice people and accept differing points of view whilst maintaining interesting posts.

Cheers, Caz.
The sceptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches, as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found.
Caz

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks for your comments Caz, taken on board.
The whole idea of this forum was to make it OK for folk to give their views, so long as manners were kept in and respect of other views happened, nothing insulting or degrading etc, but to allow open debate. Of course you know I'm a "believer" (although I have a very sceptical attitude to a lot of purported phenomena & experience that 90% of it can be explained normally), but I think it's healthy to allow any sceptics on here to give their views too, so long as they have the same attitude as us to the debate and can accept the "believer" report without invalidation too.

On the point of contribution: I agree, I don't mind lurkers, you'll see there are about 90% of the membership are lurkers who haven't posted more than their first post, - so I don't see they do any harm. I hope they do come in and put their view occasionally, it would be nice to have their company but they don't get nudged to do so once they initially join.

Caz wrote:
The reason I ask is that, although I know you sometimes get forum trolls, there will probably be a majority of people who are just too busy in their work life to take time posting something of interest, and rather than just post one liners, which don't really add anything to the conversation, prefer not to post at all, but who may gain a lot from reading other's points of view.

On this point, I have to say that a friend of mine who joined this forum a few months ago, and who genuinely doesn't have time to post, but does have time to read briefly, was advised he may be deleted if he didn't contribute. I do think this is a little severe, as I know he struggles to find time to blink most of the time. After I told him what a friendly forum this was, I have to say I felt a little embarrassed this had happened.

Sorry to hear about that. Please can you explain to your friend that this message is automated, and it's true that if someone joins and doesn't post at least the intro after they join, generally the policy is for them to be deleted.

You'll see new registrants have their Usernames in yellow text on the members list. This means they have joined but haven't made any post at all. Most of them join and don't visit ever again.

The reason this policy is there to have them come in and post an intro is primarily as an extra screen against spammers. Usually I can find out if they are spammers as soon as they apply, I check them on various data bases and they don't even make it to be on the forum at all, but there are some which do get by, and by ensuring they post something in the intro I can see they are human and not bots or spambots.

It's also a security set up, as a new member may only post in the intro section, not anywhere else ont the forum. Otherwise posts could be made elsewhere that I wouldn't notice and hidden links put in.

I don't really want to change these policies as I have managed to "catch" a few spambots that did manage to get through & this acts as a security buffer.

If you ask him to re-register, & just to say "hi" at least in one post, that would be great. His username will go "blue" and he'll be here for good if he wishes, even as a "lurker" :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Caz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:49 am

Hi, thanks, I have forwarded on your message. Totally understand about the spamming.
The sceptic does not mean him who doubts, but him who investigates or researches, as opposed to him who asserts and thinks that he has found.
Caz

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Thank you, I think he just joined again. Funnily enough his registration came in exactly the same time as another which turned out to be a spammer - usually they don't get through the "human" security questions but this one did.

Can you ask him to do a (even brief) intro? Then he'll "go blue" :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Thebogeyman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:35 pm

Just to reiterate Alison I believe you have things just right here.

The small number of members are genuinely interested in the subject and as much as they may disagree regards a matter there is respect for the others views. So far I am enjoying the debates that come around.

Yes , I am an open minded sceptic but would not be as arrogant to dismiss the experiences that people have had that has them believing.

Indeed the only other forum I was a member of I cancelled my account voluntarily as I latterly found the behaviour of individuals intolerable and the sceptics on the forum were seen to be bullies suppressing future members joining as we apparently put off anybody posting.

Nothing could be further from the truth and would wish to believe that when responding to a post I am both informative and polite , think the old saying " treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself " is the best way of putting it.

Cheers
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements