Chat Room Meetups changed to Friday nights...

Latest announcements and news from the www.EverythingGhost.Co.UK team

Re: Chat Room Meetups changed to Friday nights...

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:29 pm

There has been some discussion about moving the Chat Room meet-ups to another day of the week and time. But until then it's still Friday night at 8-9 PM, UK time, so hope to see a good crowd in 2 days time!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:03 pm

We missed you last night Tom! :-D
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:35 pm

Sorry, Jane, but the weather was so nice I preferred to be out in the fresh air and sunshine. How many people showed up last night?
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Me, Dave and Roger :smile:
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:20 am

I will try to be in there next Friday.
Spirit Bear

Postby Spirit Bear » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:38 am

Friends, the Chat Room is moribund. In the last 3 weeks, we've had a grand total of 4 people drop in, out of 250+ members. This is not good, but we can't improve unless we get some suggestions on how to make this feature more interesting.
Spirit Bear

Postby ThatZealousOne » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Are you guys still using chat that comes with the board software?

Most forum folks these days 'outsource' their chatrooms to skype or discord. A lot easier to work with, customisable, they work on phones as well as PCs and you can just keep it on and drop in whenever you feel like it, no need to organise a meetup, you can just see who is online. Especially since they're used for other things too. Plus voice chat, gif, image and video embed support, and a whole host of stuff to make things much more modern. So I can meme and annoy everyone

If you are looking for suggestions, then that is what I'd like to offer. I'd recommend setting up a Discord server since that is what most people use since skype kind of went downhill, and it has a lot more functionality for group chats.

https://discordapp.com/

Try it out, see what you think. Might be a bit better than organising meetups for a start.
ThatZealousOne

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for that TheZealousOne, that's interesting input.

The board is out of date as is the website, and I'm sure the chatroom could be updated at some point too. It's all a matter of time and other pressing things.

But, to be totally honest with you, from my viewpoint as Admin the Chatroom we have serves just fine, for what is needed. I personally wouldn't want the video chat feature etc as part of a forum like this is total anonymity. The chatroom is OK as it is. If there are times when there aren't many people in there, it's more a matter of personal time for members getting in there rather than anything lacking in the chatroom.

Any of us can go in there whenever we want, no one has to stick to a meet up time on Friday or Sunday or any time really. Anyone can see who's on the forum by looking at the board, and can message them to go in the chatroom if they fancy, any time of the day or night.

Sometimes it is busy in there, sometimes it isn't. It doesn't really bother me at all that there are times when it isn't occupied, as I understand members have lives and other choices on what they want with their time, but it's great fun when we all do go in there. :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby ThatZealousOne » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:17 am

T'is just a suggestion, but if you'll allow me to clarify a few points for your consideration.

Skype doesn't allow video chat over groups, not that I'm aware of. That's a feature which is kept for skype business which you have to pay for, and Discord doesn't have that feature at all. I can't even remember if video chat is even implemented, just voice chat. But both does allow you to embed video in line with text if you wanted to show off a video to the room.

Still, I think it could really drive activity. I recall an old forum I was on making the switch from a chatbox to a skype room and all of a sudden the members were actually using it. It's not so much a question of fit for purpose (although that is certainly something to consider) but whether if it's something users will actually use. After all, I check this forum like, what? Once a day maybe? But I'm on discord and skype all the time. I'm not chatting there, but I'm available to chat, so if someone wanted to spark up a conversation, I'd know about it through notification. And heck, there's nothing saying you have to join in, you can put servers on mute after all.

Folks who use chatroom software quite like to just have it up and running in the background, and it's easy just to have all of that under one roof if you get my meaning.

I'm not saying that uptake of the chatroom would improve by simply switching to a different platform, but I am saying that you may get more people willing to engage in chat in the chatroom if you used a platform which was more commonly used.

Still, if you're happy with the way things are then, well. *shrug* I was merely offering my input in light of what SpiritBear remarked.
ThatZealousOne

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:21 pm

No problem TheZealouaOne. Your input is very much appreciated, thank you, as I have been too busy to keep up to date on these things. At some point in the future maybe we can review things and we may implement something like this.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements