Survey: Whole Forum No Longer Viewable By Guests?

Latest announcements and news from the www.EverythingGhost.Co.UK team

Should the forum be open to all guests to view?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 am

1. Forum should be open to all guests and totally public
100%
2. Forum should be viewable only to members
No votes
3. Part of the forum should be viewable to guests
No votes
4. Trial it and see!
No votes

Total votes : 2

Survey: Whole Forum No Longer Viewable By Guests?

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:18 am

Poll time!

I have changed who has access to the forum board. Let me know what you think.

Up until now the whole board and all topics have been totallly public, so anyone can view them. What this has done is enabled anyone to see what the forum is about and join, and enable them to find things on google that we have in the topics. So I left it that way.

However it also resulted in huge amounts of lurking from non members, and then dozens of people joining who never posted. Loads of those members in "yellow" just joined and I think read as many posts and didn't do anything else, so eventually I just delete them.

Why do it? Well, this being a forum, it's a group to join if you want to engage in discussion, and who knows who's viewing your posts and copying them as well.

Maybe this will get more people actually joining to contribute? Don't know.

The other concern I had is a few posts over the time that were dodgy or broke forum rules/possibly libelous that could get us in trouble - being public, and me not seeing them til late.

Quite aside from giving members privacy to post!

What do you think? (type an answer, and please also do the poll!!)

PS: the iPortal page (home page) is still viewable to anyone, or at least some of the recent posts on there, thought this would be a good teaser and give an idea of what we chat about.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Re: Whole Forum No Longer Viewable By Guests

Postby Kroll1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 pm

I do understand your views and agree to a large degree.
On the other hand, I believe that it will attract more active members, if they can see what is posted and who we are in here (unfortunately then there will be some people who are joining without posting)
Personally, do I not join forums where I can´t see what is posted, becauce one do not get a proper feel for what kind of a place it is, and whether it's the right for one to be.

And I like to have the Board Index open in a browser, so I can see if there are new posts without logging in.
The answer is 42........... ALWAYS 42!!
Kroll1

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:18 pm

GiTM:I agree with Brian. If guests can't view all of the threads and posts,it might seem to them that we are some sort of elitist clique,or that we have some sort of hidden agenda. Just keep on doing it the way you have,it is working fine(if it's not broke,don't fix it). However,I notice that there are quite a few "yellows" that have been here for over a year-don't you think it's high time some of those were deleted? If they haven't wrote in a whole year,it's pretty evident that they are not going to post at all.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Great, thanks Kroll, very good points. :smile: I may well put it back soon for that reason.

By the way, you can still see the new posts via the Portal, not sure if you normally use that?

Thanks Tom. I spent some time yesterday and deleted about 40 of the "yellows", so a bit of a cleanout.

Good to get the feedback. Have been speaking about this with Chatelaine for quite a while and we felt it was best made private, but good to get the other side of it.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Kroll1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:25 pm

GhostInTheMachine wrote:By the way, you can still see the new posts via the Portal, not sure if you normally use that?

No I havnt used the Portal, I started out using the index, and just continued with that when I am not logged in - Old habits you know.

EDIT: I cannot see new posts on the portal if I am not logged in???
Last edited by Kroll1 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kroll1

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:30 pm

BTW,GiTM,are there any plans to activate the Arcade?
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Will have to think about the Arcade Tom, TBH I have never looked into it nor know what it potentially includes or how to activate it/put games in it. But, I'm sure that's easily solved.

Brian, when I'm logged out, I can still see the Portal and the new posts, they are all listed (titles) in two lists. The popular threads don't all appear listed for some reason. I take it you don't have these lists when you are logged out? I also note that if you click on the titles they go straight into the threads, even for guests.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Kroll1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:44 pm

GhostInTheMachine wrote:Will have to think about the Arcade Tom, TBH I have never looked into it nor know what it potentially includes or how to activate it/put games in it. But, I'm sure that's easily solved.

Brian, when I'm logged out, I can still see the Portal and the new posts, they are all listed (titles) in two lists. The popular threads don't all appear listed for some reason. I take it you don't have these lists when you are logged out? I also note that if you click on the titles they go straight into the threads, even for guests.

I see, Thanks ;)
Kroll1

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:33 pm

I see you have weeded out the lurkers, GitM, we have dropped from 119 members to 91,but the way things have been going EG's way of late,I've no worries that we will be getting more new members very soon,and why not? Word has gotten around that we have a very good thing going on here! \:D/ :-bd :-h
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Too right Tom!! :-bd

If all the views are the same, I'll put the board back the way it was, just like to get the poll going a bit longer too, and this trialed for a few days.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements