Survey: Whole Forum No Longer Viewable By Guests?

Latest announcements and news from the www.EverythingGhost.Co.UK team

Should the forum be open to all guests to view?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 am

1. Forum should be open to all guests and totally public
100%
2. Forum should be viewable only to members
No votes
3. Part of the forum should be viewable to guests
No votes
4. Trial it and see!
No votes

Total votes : 2

Re: Survey: Whole Forum No Longer Viewable By Guests?

Postby Thebogeyman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:42 am

I have to side with the comments from Brian and Tom in that new members have been attracted to the forum by the content and the quality of the debate which sticks to the issue. This has been made evident within their opening comments when they join.

So I am voting for the open boards as put forward by same.
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:38 am

Okay, would like other members please carry on with the poll (anyone who hasn't please vote on the poll), but understood on the answers so far and have put the forum all viewable by guests again, except the "off topic members area" and "members chat away" areas, for members only.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:22 pm

Does anyone else keep reading this thread-title as 'Whole Forum No Longer Viewable By Ghosts'? (!)

By the way, I don't think lurking is necessarily a bad thing. Most forums have the opposite problem, in my experience - too many people jumping into threads without brushing up on the background to subjects first. I always think of forums like university libraries: there are seminar rooms for discussions, but most people are just quietly reading.
Mike

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Hadn't noticed that, good one Mike lol - and I don't suppose we'd want to exclude the ghosts either! :lol:

Points taken on lurkers, you'll notice the forum is now public again except for the members chat and off topic areas.

Does anyone see the need for a members' only section for private discussion re: the paranormal?
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:19 pm

Does anyone see the need for a members' only section for private discussion re: the paranormal?

I don't agree with that idea, GitM. As I stated earlier,if we start privitizing sections,especially the paranormal sections(which make up about 80-90% of what we are all about here on EG)would-be members might think they are not welcome or wanted.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:50 pm

The thing I'm thinking is more along the lines of personal experiences that a member doesn't want broadcast to the whole world, but keep it to a smaller audience.

Basically, when it's on here, literally anyone on Earth can view it as the forum is public, and I know from Private Messaging sometimes members haven't wanted to post on here due to that. Possibly if there were more sensitive aspects such as this, they may post if not BPI..... I also know we lost at least one member after she posted a personal story on here, built up for it and hadn't reported her experience to anyone even family, then we were debating the ins and outs of it too harshly (she felt) so she just never came back. Sometimes these things are kept very close to the chest and never relayed.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Kroll1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 am

Thebogeyman wrote:So I am voting for the open boards as put forward by same.

I did the first time, and I was really confused until I read the first post and realised what it was about :D :D

GhostInTheMachine wrote:Does anyone see the need for a members' only section for private discussion re: the paranormal?

Personally I dont care if the whole world can read my posts, but I can understand that some will keep some experiences and opinions within a small closed group.
On the other hand, I also agree with the bear, that outsiders may feel that they are not welcome, and if such a section is made, we must be careful that it does not end up that people only write there.
The answer is 42........... ALWAYS 42!!
Kroll1

Previous

Return to Announcements