Phantom of the Capitol

Ghost Stories & haunted locations from our members in USA

Phantom of the Capitol

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:31 pm

On March 28th, 1911, Samuel Abbott entered the Albany(capitol of New York State)Capitol Building to begin his shift as night watchman for the building's magnificent library, which contained over 500,000 books and 300,000 documents. Samuel, a Civil War veteran, had been a trustworthy State employee for over 50 years, and though 78, was still spry and alert. At 9 PM, he started his shift, locking himself in the library room.

5 hours later, a fire began on the 3rd floor, thought to have been started by faulty electrical wiring. The inferno spread fast, climbing to the 4th and 5th floors, destroying the stairways, and a collection of over 10,000 rare archeological and ethnographic specimens. The fire reached the library and soon most of the huge collection was nothing but charred ashes. But Samuel had no thought of saving his own life-instead he tried to save some of the collection by throwing it out the windows. Two days later, after the fire had been brought under control, Samuel's charred body was found locked in the library, the key to the door still in his pocket, and his cane lying next to him. He was the only casualty of the fire. The state paid for his funeral and burial, but it seems that did not satisfy Samuel.

The building was quickly rebuilt and the business of government continued. But it wasn't long before lawmakers and staff realized that all was not right with the new edifice. There were constant reports of people hearing keys jangle, and doorknobs rattling, as if Samuel was still walking his rounds, making sure all doors were locked. There were further reports of mops floating across halls, telephone switchboards lighting up when no phones were in use, and people leaving their offices only to find the doors locked when they returned. Some people said Samuel was just doing his job as he always had, but others believed the old watchman was miffed that his service and death in the performance of his duties weren't given the proper recognition.

That was all changed recently when a memorial plaque honoring Samuel was unveiled and mounted in the building, close to the spot where the library used to stand. There has been no ghostly activity noted since then, so it is possible Samuel has moved on, satisfied that his service has been given its just due.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: Phantom of the Capitol

Postby Chatelaine » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:07 pm

Great story, thanks SB :-bd
Chatelaine

Re: Phantom of the Capitol

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:28 pm

Chatelaine wrote:Great story, thanks SB :-bd

Glad you liked it, Chatelaine. I promise to be more prompt with new CAH stories.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Return to American Haunted Locations