THE CHAIR

This is a sub forum where you can write your ghost stories for other members to read. You can later submit these to the Ghostpod for publication if you wish

Re: THE CHAIR

Postby Roger » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Yeah I would love to find out if anything happened regarding the chair
But I just don't think il be able to track the guy down
I thought my dad had mentioned a lorry driver taking a chair
I ask him the other day
And he said he was standing chatting to one of the other lorry drivers,after throwing the chair away
When an airman pulled the chair out of the skip,so il have to edit that bit
I might have another go at the airfield magazine
What I find a little disturbing is the demise of my dad's mate john,the guy that passed away
I wonder, exactly how he did die !
Was it natural or was he helped
I shudder to think

Before this happened, I had never heard of old hags syndrome,in fact I had never payed much attention to the world of the supernatural
Other than thinking it was a normal part of life,me anyway
It was only later when I joined another forum and started talking about what happened with the chair
That I started reading up on old hags,as this is what I was told had happened to me
And part of the sensations and feelings I had ,fit old hags ,spot on
I was advised that's all it was ...rubbish I say
I don't belittle the advice I was given,for the simple fact ,that unless you experience the exact same thing,you can only answer with what you know
And we all have some inbuilt scepticism
Well I do anyway,but when I read a story or am told of an experience,I'm happy to acknowledge that the teller believes it happened to them
I never try and figure it out,it's just out there
I'm rambling a bit now
Yes what happened after,did the airman have any trouble,who knows
It's a bit like the ending in the Flash Gordon movie,right at the end Flash Gordon triumphs
Ming the merciless is dead
And his ring is laying on the floor
Then a hand comes into shot and picks up the ring
The end
Roger

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Yeah, great story isn't it! I love the way Roger tells it too! :smile:
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:30 am

I'm sure the other chair is in a pub somewhere
And it has a curse on it
If you sit in it ,you will die
I read that last year somewhere
Roger

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:16 pm

We did an investigation at the Busby Stoop Inn, in Thirsk, North Yorks, some years back. Your comment about the cursed chair reminds me of that, as it has a haunted chair which is supposed to have killed everyone who sat in it.

It's even on the inn sign:

Info here:

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Chair_of_Death

Here's the text from that ( in case it comes off the 'net any time)

Case File: Chair of Death

Date: 1669

Description: Located near Sandhutton in North Yorkshire, the Busby Stoop Inn is a public house with a tavern that is considered haunted. The activity seems confined to a reputed Chair of Death kept in storage.

Case History: The 'Chair of Death' was the favorite chair of a striper named Thomas Busby, who was convicted in 1702 for the murder of his father-in-law, Daniel Auty, whom he supposedly strangled for sitting in his favourite chair after an argument about Thomas' wife, Auty's daughter Elizabeth. On his way to the gallows in 1702, he asked to stop by the pub and put a curse on his chair, claiming that anyone who sat in it would be haunted and soon die. It remained in the pub for centuries, and people were dared to sit in it. During World War II, airmen from an nearby base made the pub a hot spot, and the chair became a "hot seat" and people noticed that the ones who sat in it would never come back from war. In 1967, two Royal air force pilots sat in it, and while driving back, they crashed into a tree and died. A few years later, two brick layers decided to try it, and that afternoon, the one who sat in it fell to his death. The cursed chair has apparently "killed" every person who sat in it, no matter what. Some instances include a roofer who sat in it died after the roof he was working on collapsed, and a cleaning woman stumbled into it while mopping, and was later killed by a brain tumor. Eventually, the pub owner moved it into the basement, hoping that nobody would sit in it. However, one day a delivery man was in the basement and sat in it. An hour later, he crashed his truck and died. After that death, the landlord asked the local museum to take it. to ensure nobody sat in it again, they hung the chair five feet from the ground. Recently, the current owner of the pub heard of another death. During World War II, a truck driver picked up two airmen, and they wanted him to stop at the pub, and while they were in the bathroom the driver unknowingly sat in the chair. When the airmen didn't return, he left, and when one of them later found him he killed him. It seemed, that because the museum had made it nearly impossible to be able to sit in it, its "killing" days were over however the museum closed and auctioned off all of its belongings in 2010. The location of the chair is now unknown, but it is believed that the chair has since been refurbished. It is said that for some time prior to death (time varies in all cases) the person who sat in the chair experiences haunting experiences, including extreme itching, paranoia, hearing things, confusion, items being moved and written warnings on mirrors and walls about the persons imminent death in addition to many other strange happenings.

Background: In 1702, convicted murderer Thomas Busby was on his way to the gallows in Thirsk when he desired a drink of ale at his favorite pub in his favorite chair as his last request. When he finished, he said "May sudden death come to anyone who dare sit in my chair."

Investigations: None

Extra Notes: The case first aired on the May 22, 1998 episode. The chair was also featured in an episode of the Anime, "Hetalia: Axis Powers." In the episode, England switches another America's chair with this one, but Russia sits in it. It is outmatched by the evil aura of Russia sitting in it and breaks stating that it won't work on him.

Results: Unsolved
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:00 am

That's the story I read
I remember the name now
An antique chair that carries a terrible curse
Wonder where the chair is
Just makes me wonder about curses
I think I mentioned the curse me and my mucker,Stevie babe ,put on our mate gonk
We purposely went down the library,pre internet days
And got a book about curses
And put a curse on gonk' whereby he would smash every car he owned
And he did,it went on for about three years and he got through about six or seven cars
In the end we got the book again and found something about removing a curse
Which we did
Since then ...nothing
Strange but true
There's a whole lot more to this world we live in than meets the eye
And I think it's summed up in that saying,I wonder where that saying came from
More than meets the eye
Blimey,to think we live in a world where most people are happy to just go along happily living there lives
Oblivious to all the strange things surrounding us
It's easier to ignore it all cos it comes down to proving it
And when it comes down to the super natural,I don't think any one has ever proved anything
I might be wrong there
Hope so
Roger

Postby martin1985 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:44 am

most people are afraid of the unknown, although they won't admit it! its just easier for them to pretend everything is black & white.
martin1985

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:44 pm

The chair at the Busby Stoop is still there, we saw it when we went on a vigil there and stayed overnight. Didn't sit in it though :shock: :shock: :-D

Yep, you're right there Roger, - personally I think it's all about confront, the ability to confront ie: face things comfortably, maintining a position without flinching. There are a lot of things folk can't confront so they just shy off from it, avoid it, or just cut off their perceptions and then deny it exists. Then they ridicule anyone who says it does exist; that's the next phase. The last phase is to get all high brow and academic about explaining and rationalising how they have to be right, to make the fact it doesn't exist even more "solid" and real.

That, and then there is the other extreme of complete delusion in favour of things existing,which don't exist.... the opposite true believer who will believe anything, or where his own mental world is more real to him than the physical shared one. Both are basically not confronting.

The thing to aim for (to my mind) is the bit in the middle where you are willing to experience and confront what is there and face it.... everyone has their own threshhold of what they can and can't confront, and has to face it.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Little bit of an update about the chair
After talking to my mum and dad at the weekend
The chair was a child's chair,upholstered back and arms with brass domed pins
The guy that owned it was known to my dad for a very long time
When my dad was nothing but a whippersnapper ,he got a job in the ajs matchless works that was in plumstead south london
One of his bosses was in charge of development and involved in the works racing team
This was the guy that owned the chair
My dad thinks his surname was pardew or Parnell
Quite an interesting fellow ,as he actually survived flying lancasters during ww2,a job with a terrible survival rate
But he made it through ww2 only to die in a motorcycle crash during one of the tt races on the ilse of Mann
Roger

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Coincidently
Four minutes after mentioning about Lancaster bombers,a programme came on bbc 2
Called the Lancaster,so I'm watching to see if it mentions the chair owner
Bit of a coincidence.......
Roger

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:13 am

Lol I saw that was on telly a few hours ago and was thinking of watching.
Interesting about the chair, I wonder it's history, or that of it's owners before that accident - or maybe it was connected to that incident.

Funny, you hear so.many instances like this about hero's who get through a lot of trauma and survival tests - then the motorbike! Lawrence of Arabia for one.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Share Your True Ghost Stories Here