The Enfield haunting

Discuss favourite or least favoured paranormal TV shows

Re: The Enfield haunting

Postby martin1985 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:56 am

they never stick to any book or source materiel most of the time, least it wasn't a horrible series
martin1985

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon May 18, 2015 9:26 am

I agree, it was really good and entertaining. That's all most people want, not really interested in the integrity of the rendition.

I suppose those who do know the case well and who are keen to communicate what really happened will most value the truth being portrayed accurately, and are the ones who will object. Especially as it was so very thorough as an investigation.

The really good thing about this drama from their viewpoint is it has promoted the case more and people will buy and read Playfair's book! Only a year ago the book had been out of print for years and was only available as a collector's item for over £100, and now it is also reprinted and easily ordered on Amazon.

I also wouldn't be surprised if more documentaries come out about the real case, hopefully telling it the way Guy would want and giving him a chance to correct things, and not giving undue air time to those who seriously misrepresented the case in the past such as devout skeptic Deborah Hyde.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby martin1985 » Mon May 18, 2015 10:27 am

ahh Deborah Hyde, was she the one in this morning a few years ago ?
martin1985

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon May 18, 2015 11:11 am

Yes, and that was when she made a huge mistake of lying live on air - she claimed that scrutiny of the case made it most likely to be explained as the girls faking the phenomena, and she said retired senior Barrister and SPR Council member Mary Rose Barrington had issues with the case and disagreed with the evidence.

Barrington is/ was one of the most experienced, qualified and respected investigators of such cases in the country, and did nothing of the sort, and instead concluded after an exhaustive and thorough inspection of all files " there is every reason to think there was poltergeist activity in the house"

Hyde later had to retract the statement made on air, publicly in her Skeptic magazine, I believe due to threat from Barrington that she would take legal action, but unfortunately Hyde had got in first with that TV show the false information stuck and was spread in the media who have re-quoted Hyde ever since!

To see Playfair's own comments on this, Hyde and the evidence of the case, he covers it here in his blog:-

http://whitecrowbooks.com/guylyonplayfa ... e_version/
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby martin1985 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:27 pm

obviously she is so desperate to say its all fake because she believes it to be, another case of delusion/ biased opinion!
martin1985

Postby Chatelaine » Mon May 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Heavens, I cannon bear to think of that awful woman and her appalling behaviour on that show. As per usual of her kind, her suggestions were so condescending and nonsensical; "people can be mistaken" I think may have been one of her theories on debunking the whole episode. If you purport to be a scientist, for goodness sake try to act like one!
Chatelaine

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon May 18, 2015 9:53 pm

martin1985 wrote:obviously she is so desperate to say its all fake because she believes it to be, another case of delusion/ biased opinion!

I agree with both of you. It's interesting to read Guy Playfair's ideas about this too.

I don't have any problem with scepticism with a small S, people who are open mindedly investigating and just waiting for evidence... no one can be expected to believe what they haven't experienced.
But this Skepticism is another thing altogether, dedicated to debunking everything that doesn't follow their already set prejudice. Deborah Hyde hadnever been to the vaults of the SPR or Ghost Club to review any of the Enfield files at all prior to this show, and probably hasn't since. Guy calls it pseudoscepticism:

"
It’s the same old story. Don’t bother trying to explain or even mention the evidence, when throwing the baby out with the bathwater is less demanding on your powers of reasoning. All in the cause of ‘scepticism’, which to the Ancient Greeks meant questioning and examining. I’m sure Plato would have had ‘issues’ with this dismal display of vacuous pseudoscepticism."
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby martin1985 » Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 am

yes i agree with what Guy Playfair said there, in her mind she doesn't believe and everyone else shouldn't, that's basically her idea anyway
martin1985

Postby Pequisto » Wed May 20, 2015 3:11 pm

I've just finished all three episodes and I must say that the first two episodes were good. Not great--but good.

The third episode really takes some bizarre turns that don't appear in the actual case itself and had me wondering why they butchered it. The last 20-25 minutes of that final episode is absolute crap not just from the point-of-view of someone who read quite a bit about the Enfield case, but also from a storytelling point-of-view. You can't just take 7-8 loose ends that would require a further 1-2 episodes to resolve and cram it into 20 minutes. What shite.

But overall, it was good, IMO.
Pequisto

Postby martin1985 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:38 pm

i agree with what you said there Pequisto
martin1985

PreviousNext

Return to Ghosts On TV