True Movies

Discuss your favourite spooky & paranormal movies here

Re: True Movies & TV Series

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:56 pm

More good ones Winnie! I have seen the Mothman ones, great films I must say. Richard Gere if I recall rightly.

I have changed this to True Movies and TV Series (hope u don't mind).... as i'm thinking about Medium, the series featuring "Alison Dubois" ... very good series, currently watching them all on Lovefilm one after another... and wondering what is the truth behind the fiction. I know the real Allison DuBois was an advisor for the show.

Looks like the whole lot are on Youtube, but here's the first one

Some stuff about the real Alison Dubois, from both her website and Wiki. The debunking-type skeptics (Randi, Csicop etc) have been trying to crucify her, but they do that to all of them by default, so it's hard to get neutral and unbiased data on this, lord knows what the truth is... somewhere in the middle no doubt.

http://www.allisondubois.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_DuBois
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Re: True Movies

Postby Winnie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you GITM makes it sound better ;-)

Thats right Richard was in it and really good too but he had great support the cast were excellent.

Medium is one of my all time favourite shows again great cast and Patricia was wonderful .... i just recently watched it from the start up to season 5 again on FOX, brilliant show.

Yes as per she gets hammered by the skeptics with all manner of ........ but lets just say this, if Dr C is impressed and rates her, and he is, and does, then ;-) In fact i heard him in an interview saying that most mediums are well you know the scrip, they believe it or they are down right frauds but he made an exception for Alison and said people like her do make him wonder.

I remember reading about Alison being tested by Gary Schwartz and she was the cream apparently. I forget the book but he was a skeptic.
Winnie

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:17 pm

Well, Chatelaine and I watched the Shirley Mclean one yesterday, ... the first part anyway, as it's over 2 hours.

First have to say it's very, very dated, very slow, really takes a very long time to get to the point.... just makes you realise when you watch anything older than about 1995 how sllooooooow everything was, all the action TV and everything like that is mostly long and drawn out (even watching things like 6 Million Dollar Man again .. only 2 bits of action in each hour of show). So, bear that in mind if watching this. The acting is also quite terrible in places... Charles Dance, and that woman jogger who she meets in the park... oh dear. So, cheap and slow and not well acted.

But, now it's got going (about in the last section) it's starting to get interesting... now I'll have to watch the 2nd bit. lol

Overall, it's charming and interesting, especially if you are "into" this stuff.

I also have to say she's incredibly brave for doing it, for being so open and letting it be known. Really is "out on a limb"!!!!

Oh and I absolutely hate that character played by Charles Dance.. what a horrible, selfish pig he is!! They are like chalk and cheese!! She is so warm, emotional and cheerful, he is just solid like a lump of concrete, low toned, angry and arrogant. (I'm thinking probably Charles Dance is a bit horrible himself in real life .. he always plays the villains since then) :D
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Winnie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 pm

Ouch .... well i am glad you got something out of it :? .... sorry about the build up, erm but Shirley is 80 years old now so, different times an all that.

She was and is very brave ..... i hope you and Chatelaine enjoy part 2 more

http://www.amazon.com/Out-Limb-VHS-Shir ... merReviews
Winnie

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:43 pm

lol Winnie :-D Sorry to be blunt and rude, very grateful for you finding it and putting it on here!, don't get me wrong I am enjoying it!!! It's just a comment on the times. It's really odd, I have been watching lots and lots of old films and series through Lovefilm by post, and ordering stuff I didn't see that was made in different decades... it really opens your eyes. As I say, things from about pre 1995 are all like this, very slow, all the period dramas and TV serials etc... maybe it's more of a comment on ourselves, that we were much more patient and slow moving back then. Now there is probably waaaay too much stimuli in the environment with the internet, 3D movies, streaming live TV, gaming... etc. Probably also very much faster paced in general.

But, no, sorry to sound ungrateful, I'm really glad you posted it here!! Wouldn't have got it otherwise! :-D And Sheila is such a nice person.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Winnie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Not at all :-D
btw if you think Shirley's love interest Jerry the Politician is bad in the mini series ..... read the book you will really love him :evil: ;-)
Winnie

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:40 pm

I think Charles Dance was really badly cast for it...he's just so creepy and sinister, those snake-like eyes. He plays those sorts of characters very well indeed, like he plays the evil lawyer in Nicholas Nicholby and the Witchfinder General in Merlin.. etc.

I wonder who the real person was behind the character!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Winnie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 am

At the start of the film Shirley says she started to ask herself some questions which surfaced, in part because of a relationship, which she seemed destined to have, with synchronicity after synchronicity drawing her into it.

She wrote a book on the making of "Out on a Limb" called "Its all in the Playing" Fantastic book full of background information ;-)

Personally she found Charles Dance slightly chilly but thought he would make a perfect Jerry, her main worry was she was playing herself ten years younger and felt that Charles was too young! As i said from reading Out on a Limb this guy is a real piece of work GRRR
She did warm to Charles when they were shooting in Hawaii as all the crew and actors families joined the cast there, as sometimes that happens on location when actors are sent to lovely places [great job eh]. She seen a nicer side to Charles when he was reunited with his family. Its not that she disliked Charles she just felt he was a bit remote, but then that was why he made a fine Jerry.

lol i know what you mean though he is a fab villain :twisted: do you watch Game of Thrones.

The real Jerry, .... well she had a thing for Politicians, like she said in the film people in power that can change peoples lives for the better is very attractive to her so ......
The list of suspects she had flings with were a Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, Australian Foreign Minister Andrew Peacock and Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme.

Here is a quote from an old article

"I guarantee you Gerry is not Margaret Thatcher," MacLaine declares facetiously to the press. "That's one down!" cries a voice from the rear.

"Gerry was a very important part of my life. He is intelligent and human, a man capable of great leadership and change."

"Gerry was many people, as we all are."

Melbourne Herald digs in. "Is he Andrew Peacock?"

"Andrew Peacock is many people," counters Shirley, and tries in vain to bring this joust to an end. Fat chance. The Gerry questions keep coming, sideways, backdoor, in through the windows. After a while she even starts to enjoy it. "You know," she says at last, "if I'd balled as many politicians all over the world as you guys say I have, I'd be inside a bottle in the U.N."

Shirley said she would take his identity to the grave but, not long ago she admitted to having two affairs with Mr Palme once in around AD 800 when he was the Emperor Charlemagne and she was a Moorish girl tending sick pilgrims in Spain... in another of her previous lives ? ;-)

Here is an interesting interview from the 1970's with Shirley and Olof which is probably tmi lol

Winnie

Postby karen » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:43 pm

There is a film on True Movies at the moment called "Grave Secrets".. about a housing development in the good old US that built houses on a graveyard and the hauntings that occurred after the purchasers of the houses moved in and the battle they had to receive compensation from the developers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adwg83qlAPc

Here is the film for your enjoyment!!! Take no notice that the title is in spanish its actually in English.

karen

Postby Winnie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:10 am

Hi Karen thanks for that ii havent seen that film so i will watch that over the weekend :-D

I am pretty sure that is the story that inspired Stephen Speilberg's Poltergeist ;-)
Winnie

PreviousNext

Return to Ghosts In The Movies & Film