Jack the Ripper

Discuss "hidden" knowledge, fringe science, little known technologies, alternative history and anything weird & wonderful that may challenge our idea of reality

Re: Jack the Ripper

Postby Kitty » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:42 am

There is a two page article in the Fortean Times this month that debunks the new book and shawl/DNA claims. Really good read.

Winnie - re H H Holmes - I have just read Bloodlines on my Kindle and couldn't put it down !! :o
Kitty

Postby Winnie » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:52 am

That was an interesting link GITM i cant help but feel sorry for the guy that spent all that money and then wrote the book only to have it debunked faster than it hit the shelves :?
The clips show there are a number of very credible suspects, the painter for one but then he may just have been a psychic artist ;-)
H.H.Holmes takes some beating for me he was a total maniac :twisted:

Wow, Thanks Kitty Now that is what you want to hear about a book, it must have been a hard read at times though as he was a monster, i think it would give me nightmares.
What do you think is H.H.Holmes the guy ???
Last edited by Winnie on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnie

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:06 am

Got my Fortean Times copy and read that article, yes, it's sceptical - but it must have been written before that outcome from the other scientists about the DNA error. He's putting together other things that don't make sense about the theory. Yes, must be very disappointing for that chap who owns the shawl. No doubt he'll still make a packet on the book though!

I don't know too many of the other theories, not in detail anyway. I will have to find out about that H.H. Holmes one.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:05 pm

Latest candidate for the mantle of JtR is another old candidate. This time it's a German sailor named Carl Feigenbaum, who was hanged for killing two women in New York City after the Whitechapel murders ceased.

Another interesting, though, dubious matter is the spate of supposed early photos of some of the JtR victims that have been cropping up lately. A photo of Annie Chapman on her wedding day found several years back has been authenticated, but supposed new photos of Catherine Eddowes and Elizabeth Stride can't be verified as them, as no proof has been given that the photos are indeed of the two victims.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:02 pm

Thanks Tom. :) How about some links to those photos that have been found? Would be interesting to see.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:43 pm

GhostInTheMachine wrote:Thanks Tom. :) How about some links to those photos that have been found? Would be interesting to see.

GiTM: your best bet is to log onto Bing and type in: Images of Catherine Eddowes/Elizabeth Stride. Each has a separate page, along with all the other victims.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:13 pm

The first photo is allegedly that of a younger Catherine Eddowes, the 4th Canonical victim of JtR. If this is indeed her, she truly went down in the world, as the mortuary photos of her show. Her features, even after the slashing, showed plainly the ravages of drink and the disease that would have killed her anyway, if she had not met the Ripper.

The 2nd photo is allegedly that of a younger Elizabeth Stride, the 3rd Canonical Victim of JtR.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:27 pm

There you go Tom, there are the pics. You just use the Img tag at the top of the editing window (it sits there with the others), and place the link right between the two tags, taking care not to leave any spaces.

I think it's extremely sad, those poor women, and young girls in these pictures.

When it goes to the extremes it does, in my opinion it's really a sordid fascination ome people have with this particular insane serial killer, and often with other similar crimes, I find it quite bizarre. It's almost like as sort of sickening and morbid attraction people have for this, possibly a type of erotica with some folk, looking at the photos of their mutilated bodies etc.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:52 am

According to the link, the Eddowes photo was taken in 1883, only 5 years before her death. So, her no-stop flight into degradation must have already begun at the time of the snap, or started soon after. Pity, she is rather attractive in the photo. I have some doubts about the Stride photo, though. I don't see much resemblance between the early snap and her morgue photo, but then that might also be due to the ravages of drink, and the possibility that she had a STD at the time of her death.
Spirit Bear

Postby Tasha O » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:25 pm

Ah Spirit Bear, I have never saw those photographs, very interesting, if they are indeed Catherine Eddowes and Elizabeth Stride, I have not as of yet read through this post, just remembered about it, I will have a good read soon.

Tasha O
Tasha O

PreviousNext

Return to Fringe Science, Forbidden Knowledge,& all things Fortean