The Mystery of Glenn Miller

Discuss "hidden" knowledge, fringe science, little known technologies, alternative history and anything weird & wonderful that may challenge our idea of reality

The Mystery of Glenn Miller

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:05 pm

On December 15th, 1944 Major Glenn Miller, the world famous big band leader, and conductor of the US Army Air Corps band, took off from a small RAF airfield near the Chiltern Hills. He was on his way to Paris to prepare for a show with his band to the troops stationed there. He never made it, and his disappearance and death remain a mystery to this day.

It was first assumed that the small single engine plane Miller was riding in had iced up and crashed into the English Channel. But it was the actions after the supposed crash that had many people wondering if there was some sort of cover-up about the affair. Firstly, there was no search for the plane. Next, it was military protocol for an announcement of a missing plane to be released within 48 hours of the craft's disappearance. But the report on Miller's plane, dated December 23rd, was not released for a full 8 days after the planes' disappearing. Next, 5 days after Miller was lost, his quarters were entered by American military police, and all his belongings were packed up and carted away to an unknown destination. Military protocol dictates that such action be taken only after a full week has passed, and then the belongings are to be returned to the victim's family, if there is one, or divided amongst his comrades. Miller's family claims they never received anything of his belongings, nor have any items ever turned up, to this day.

It was assumed that Miller's plane had gone down in the Channel, but this viewpoint is beginning to be rejected by many searchers after the truth in the Miller affair, especially as radar tracking ships in the Channel never reported seeing the plane on their screens. It is possible that a piece of evidence recently found may give a different answer to the mystery. A notebook, with an entry for December 15th, 1944, kept by a boy of 17, who was a plane spotter in the area, claims to have seen a plane matching the description of the plane Miller was in, flying over the Chilterns and vanishing. The Chilterns are notorious for being the graveyard of many WWII aircraft. Numerous American, British, and German wrecks are uncovered in the hills on an almost weekly basis, many buried as deep as 15 feet below the surface of the ground. It is possible that somewhere in those hills lies the yet unfound wreckage of a small single engine plane. If it is there, and it is ever found, we may at last have an answer to the fate of a musical legend.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: The Mystery of Glenn Miller

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Interesting.
I suspect the reason it wasn't released and was covered up, hush hush, is because of the impact on overall morale for the allies if it was out that he had succumbed. His music and performance was extremely inspiring for the squaddies, airmen and sailors as well as the general public of both US and GB.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:26 pm

GhostInTheMachine wrote:Interesting.
I suspect the reason it wasn't released and was covered up, hush hush, is because of the impact on overall morale for the allies if it was out that he had succumbed. His music and performance was extremely inspiring for the squaddies, airmen and sailors as well as the general public of both US and GB.

Valid points, GiTM, tho the powers that be must have realized that they could not hold off giving out the news of the tragedy forever. One conspiracy theory has Miller, recruited by General Eisenhower, being sent into Germany to conduct peace talks with German officials tired of Hitler's insanity. However, a spy in Allied Command betrayed the band leader, who was supposedly captured by the Nazis and taken to Paris, where he was interrogated and tortured by the Gestapo. His nude and battered body was placed in front of a notorious brothel, in the hopes of undermining US morale.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Midnight » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Spirit Bear wrote:One conspiracy theory has Miller, recruited by General Eisenhower, being sent into Germany to conduct peace talks with German officials tired of Hitler's insanity. However, a spy in Allied Command betrayed the band leader, who was supposedly captured by the Nazis and taken to Paris, where he was interrogated and tortured by the Gestapo. His nude and battered body was placed in front of a notorious brothel, in the hopes of undermining US morale.

So why no pictures of the body etc, etc?.

Every few years, this mystery rears its head and theories are bandied back and forth. I hope one day the family do get their answers, they deserve to know exactly what happened,

It's very odd that there was no mayday calls made, one minute he was there, the next he wasn't. I do believe at one point a suggestion was made he was abducted by aliens!

I do enjoy some of his music. :-D
The truth ALWAYS comes out in the end.
Midnight

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 am

I still think they would have tried to suppress any "bad news" of his death, and that would wind up with a delay, which is what happened. No time would have been good to release it, but I guess later rather than then and there, they'd just suppress it in the meantime.

I somehow can't see them sending such a high profile figure off on a very high risk mission where he'd wind up captured like that; due to the morale factor he would be a big prize, they'd want to avoid that.

I suspect he wound up in the Chilterns somwhere.....

Edit: just a quick search, found this:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/89477 ... death-book
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:02 am

If they ever do find Miller's plane in the Chilterns, it may prove impossible to ID it, unless they have serial numbers to the individual engine parts etc. A plane that small hitting the ground at high speed would disintegrate into thousands of small pieces. A similar case was the crash of Patsy Kline's plane-nearly identical to the Miller plane in style and size. It was reported that they found debris and body parts scattered for at least a 2-3 mile area for that one.
Spirit Bear

Postby Midnight » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:44 pm

Spirit Bear wrote:I It was reported that they found debris and body parts scattered for at least a 2-3 mile area for that one.

Unfortunately, I doubt there would be any body parts to find now, they would have been taken by the wild animals of the area.

Thanks for that article, most informative, however, the mystery remains of why the plane was 40 miles off course?
Midnight

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:02 am

Midnight wrote:
Spirit Bear wrote:I It was reported that they found debris and body parts scattered for at least a 2-3 mile area for that one.

Unfortunately, I doubt there would be any body parts to find now, they would have been taken by the wild animals of the area.

They removed what parts they could, but the bodies were horribly mangled, as you might expect. Most of what was left of Patsy was found in a tree.
Spirit Bear

Postby Midnight » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Horrid way to die, knowing there's nothing you can do to prevent it :(
Midnight

Return to Fringe Science, Forbidden Knowledge,& all things Fortean