Poveglia

Haunted Locations in UK and around the world, discuss these here, whether famous or as yet little known.

Poveglia

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:28 pm

If I had my choice to do a solo vigil anywhere in the world, my first choice would be this creepy island near Venice.

The history of the island goes back to the 5th Century CE, when it was used as a refuge for people fleeing the barbarian invasions of Italy.

In the 18th century, the island was used as a checkpoint and clearing station for ships travelling to and from Venice. In 1793, two ships were found to have plague aboard, and it was decided to use the island as a confinement area for plague victims, who either cured or died. It is estimated that there are over 10000 plague pits on the island. The hospital was closed down in 1822.

The island was again used as a hospital in the early 20th century, housing the insane, lepers, and other victims of sickness and disease. This is the time when Povelgia began to get the ominous reputation it carries to this day. It is claimed an insane doctor performed crude lobotomies on helpless patients. He threw himself out a window of the old bell tower, claiming ghosts were tormenting him.

Today, the island is abandoned. Recently, tho, the Italian government, desperate to raise money for their flagging economy, has tried to sell the island to developers, but so far there have been no takers, and can you blame them? Who would want to live on a island that has known little but suffering, disease, and madness. Just think of all the negative energies pervading the site. Who would want to live there? Who would even be crazy enough to want to spend even one night there all by themselves? Me, that's who!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: Poveglia

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:50 am

It looks like one creepy and dark place. I must admit, it's one of the very first episode of Ghost Adventures I ever watched and I found it a good watch.

Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:55 pm

Chatelaine wrote:It looks like one creepy and dark place. I must admit, it's one of the very first episode of Ghost Adventures I ever watched and I found it a good watch.

Creepy and dark, that would describe Zak Bagans to a "T"! :lol:
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Did you watch the episode Spirit Bear? It's one of their earlier ones, so it's quite good.
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:01 pm

Chatelaine wrote:Did you watch the episode Spirit Bear? It's one of their earlier ones, so it's quite good.

Yes, I saw it, one of the last few good ones they had, but you could tell this is just about the spot where Bagans decided to alter course and go down the demon trail!
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:30 pm

I agree, it's a shame as from here on GA goes downhill in my opinion. When they were new and fresh, I found them quite funny and charming, three young guys being scared out of their wits, but being brave and investigating. It seems paranormal programs go down the pan as soon as they start getting too big for their boots. Of course we all know another show that displayed this same pattern.

As for visiting Poveglia, it has been done since and by a Brit no less! I haven't watched this episode at all, but Chris Halton is good at what he does, albeit in a quite way. Posting this vid here just to show Spirit Bear or anyone else wanting to go to Poveglia, that it would be possible. If Chris Halton and Haunted Earth have done it, then so could you.

Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:08 pm

I remember, from the GA episode, that there were tour boats that would take people out to Poveglia in the daytime, but not at night. I guess I would have to check with Venice authorities to get permission to go at night, but I am still game to do it! 8-)
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:08 pm

OK, so who is game to go out to Poveglia with Spirit Bear then? 8-)
Chatelaine

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:23 am

Chatelaine wrote:OK, so who is game to go out to Poveglia with Spirit Bear then? 8-)

Sorry, dear lady, but when The Big, Bad, Bear does a solo vigil, the key word is SOLO! 8-)
Spirit Bear

Postby Chatelaine » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:20 pm

Wooo get you! :ymcowboy:
Chatelaine

Next

Return to Haunted Locations