My house

Haunted Locations in UK and around the world, discuss these here, whether famous or as yet little known.

My house

Postby karen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:50 pm

My house we believe has a ghost called William. He is a young man who died in WWI in 1916 aged 18.

I know this details as a chap from Salems Chapel at the top of my road went round to all the houses that where effected by The Great War. He showed me this young mans Regiment, the date he died, and where he died (the Somme I thing. My house must have been full of sadness.

William seems to inhabit the bathroom which was originally his bedroom. My son has seen him. My husband has felt him (and he's as skeptic as they come). My husband was genuinely creeped out early one morning when he was getting ready for work which is very unusual for him. My son hates being on his own in the house for any length of time, specially when we are on holiday and my daughter has also felt "creeped out" when left on her own for a few days.

When William is being mischievous things disappear... for example. My husband placed his credit card on the bed, went too the bathroom and it had disappeared (and no I didn't take it) it was never seen again and we pulled that bedroom apart looking for it. A new credit card had to be applied for. The same for things my son has placed down. We have now got into the habit of saying "William!!!! put it back you little bugger!!!!" We then leave the room and we go back lo and behold it's there. I occasionally feel unease when I'm downstairs on my own with a feeling of being watched and the back of my neck prickling.
karen

Re: My house

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 pm

Very interesting account, Karen. How long do you think William has been haunting there, or is this something that has just started happening?
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby karen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:28 pm

It’s has always been a bit creepy at times but has increased this past couple of years. Since the anniversary of the Great War and his demise during that war.
karen

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 pm

Wow Karen I have heard a lot about your house, but this is a new development with your discoveries about Wiliam. Very interesting! Have you tried to talk to him, to get him to move on?

I remember you said about a young lad who was killed in WWII too, during a bombing raid.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 am

Do I sense the possibility of an investigation at your house, Karen? I hope so!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby ThatZealousOne » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:52 pm

This is quite fascinating. I would urge people to look up accounts of paranormal activity in WW1. I was watching a program recently that covered it. Because of the sheer loss of life and the grief that people had, there was a great growth in spirituality and church membership. One such thing that will interest us is the increase in paranormal investigators! There were a lot of reported hauntings saying that troops from the front had died, returned home and haunted the house, several people even reported ghostly soldiers roaming the streets of London.

Of course, a lot of these stories are fake (or can be attributed to co-incidence) and a lot of the so called 'mediums' and investigators were preying on people's grief (you know, like... all 'mediums' do). Some accounts are quite interesting though even if they are fake. Personally I quite like the Angels of Mons, that little spiritual phenomena is quite uplifting.

Who knows, perhaps this 'William' used to live in your house and has always been there.
ThatZealousOne

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:36 pm

Angels of Mons is a great story.

Of course you are right about the resurgence in the Spriitualist movement, which also saw its rise in Victorian times due to the quantity of deaths with diseases such as cholera and typhoid (even Prince Albert was not immune) and the infatuation with death and the afterlife in that time.

And, the incidents of "crisis apparitions" which were reported during WWI, - sons or husbands inexplicably appearing at the door or foot of the bed of their wives and family, and then several weeks later when the message arrives that their soldier died on the battlefield at that same time they were seen, hundreds of miles away in France or Flanders.

All of this, and also of course other deaths at that time (there were more killed by the flu in those days than by the Great War) lead to a fascination with death and a desire to contact the departed.

However, it is true that people who are very needy of such contact will also be those who will be most likely to believe and take on any old possibility that the contact is genuine, so there is not only an open door to fraud, but to sheer inclination to believe anything.

Though, that doesn't mean a percentage of those cases won't hold up.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Return to Haunted Locations