Army Rumour Service: Haunted Barracks tales...

What do you think about ghosts, the paranormal, poltergeigsts? This is the place to discuss your theories, and any other data on the different types of phenomena.

Army Rumour Service: Haunted Barracks tales...

Postby Fenner76 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello all,

Apologies I haven't been around much lately. Hope you're all ok?
I'm not sure if this has been included here, but this section of the Army Rumour Service forum has pages worth of interesting reading:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threa ... acks.1508/

One of the accounts that caught my eye, was stories of happenings on the old King's Cliffe Airfield, not far from me. A colleague I used to work with, also told me that there have been sightings and strange experiences there. Enjoy!
"You can't hunt what doesn't exist Mr Mallory..."
"Well that's just it. We think we have one that does".
Fenner76

Re: Army Rumour Service: Haunted Barracks tales...

Postby Chatelaine » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:16 pm

Lovely to see you here, you have been missed! ;-) I love the forum link you posted Fenner, I am about half way through the stories and I won't be satisfied until I've read them all. This is such a gem of a collection, loving it!
Chatelaine

Postby Fenner76 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks Chatelaine :) There's pages of good reading there. Some healthy doubters there as well. One thing I've noticed from the reports, are the numbers of ghosts of WW2 airmen that have been seen. This again ties in to a colleague's story about when he and a couple of friends went to explore an abandoned WW2 control tower a few years ago, which was known for ghostly happenings and had a reputation for being haunted.

Apparently one of the men in their group was a real p***taker and flatly refused to believe any of it. I remember him saying that this man went into the tower on his own for a look around, whilst the other two were walking around the airfield seeing what they could find (this was very late night/very early morning) and he had been in there for about ten minutes, before apparently running out crying and locking himself inside his car, shaking like a tree.

This man I know and his friend, tried to get this other guy to tell them what he had seen, but wouldn't talk about it...apart from the fact that all the colour had drained out of him and he would never go in that tower again. I've heard rumours of either a senior officer's ghost being seen in there, or an airman.
Fenner76

Postby Chatelaine » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 pm

Wow! Well, my dad was in the RAF and when he was stationed at RAF Linton-on-Ouse he told me that there was a strange feel about certain parts of the place. Friends and colleagues talked about 'seeing things' and having odd feelings. My dad told me, with the upmost respect, that the year before a lorry had been leaving the base to take a gang of the chaps down to the pub. One of the men was running to catch up and as he took a jump to get on to the back of the lorry, he slipped and cracked his head on the tarmac. The poor man died and it was to him the strange occurrences were attributed. I remember in the 1990's seeing a ghost documentary and Eddie Burks actually released the spirit of the airman that was haunting the RAF Station.
Chatelaine

Postby Fenner76 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:26 pm

That's an interesting account! Again this ties in with people who died before their time and weren't supposed to go yet. The energy must still be imprinted into the area where they met their untimely end, which is interesting but also very sad as well. Wartime ghosts have a very intense subject-feel to them, not only the the individuals who were KIA, but also to people who were accidentally killed.
Fenner76

Return to All About Ghosts & The Paranormal