Starting a paranormal group. help please.

Advice, comments and discussion about investigating haunted locations, equiptment to use and how to do it. Tell us about your own investigations here too, we'd love to hear them!

Re: Starting a paranormal group. help please.

Postby jerry1975 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:26 am

Hi.

Yeah i know what you mean, personaly i prefer a forum but thats just me.

I am in the planning stages of the facebook group, how it will look, content etc.

Many thanks to you ghostinthemachine for all your help.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:32 pm

No probs :smile:
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 am

Hi.

Well i tried to start the group on farcebook this morning but it won't let you
unless you add a contact, not knowing one i could add was a problem and also
i did not want the usual profile page stuff either where all your contacts come up
etc.
So in the end i gavs up.
I thought you could just set up a group without all this nonsense.

Anyway, not sure where to go from here.

Any help would be great.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:02 pm

I think it's best if you had someone local there to help you set it up, it's not too difficult but would be hard to explain just on the forum. You would need to start a Facebook account with a profile first in order to then start a group ( as then you would need to be a member and administer that group) and that's how you would interact with people to get them to join.

If that doesn't work, I'd probably try things the old fashioned way. Start by putting up cards in a shop window, or if you have a local pub ask if you can put a sign up, or maybe place an ad in the local Ad Trader of newspaper. And word of mouth, think of people you know and if any friends or relatives are interested in ghosts then get talking about it and next see if any are interested in doing a vigil. It's that kind of chat and mixing with folk that will find you people of like mind.

Interestingly, I just did so google search and see there have been ghost hunt groups in your area, like this one for example:

http://www.abbeyghosthunters.co.uk/
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Everyone.

Well after the facebook experience ( i tried again yesterday ) i think i will Just ask in the libary if i can put a poster up and a few other places and go from there.

I have heard about abbeyghosthunters but i really wanted to start my own group so i / we could do our own thing.
We will see what happens.

Thanks for all your help.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:13 pm

Sounds good plan to me, go with what you are most comfortable with! Once you have at least one or two other people on board, you can grow from there, and maybe even get a Facebook page as I'm sure someone in the group will know how to do it.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:56 am

Hi Everyone.

Yeah, i think its the way to go for now.

Thanks,

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby PinkFrenchFancy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:36 am

Im Not entirely sure how you would go about starting a group but I can only echo what others have said... Try get yourself a good team of like minded people and similar characters that get on well so you have a good energy. Don't just take any old Tom, d*** or Harry just because they claim to have interest.

I've been on plenty of investigations (not for a long time though) where outsiders have been brought in and it's been a poor evening spoilt by people trying to fake result (throwing stuff) and screaming at next to nothing... It can be ultimately very frustrating! Find a good strong team, become good friends and stick with them i'd say!

Good luck :-)
PinkFrenchFancy

Postby jerry1975 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:33 am

Hi Pinkfrenchfancy,

Thank you for your advice.

Your right about a good team, i have also done a few investigations that were spoilt
by a few acting daft etc, needless to say they were not invited to others.

I was thinking a discussion group for those who may not want or be able to
go on ghost hunts and of course an investigation teamwho once i feel comfortable they are not going to spoil it, will go out investigating.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Jerry
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:57 am

I absolutely agree with both of you, Chris is right that a group will only be as successful as everyone gets on and thinks alike. I have seen groups spoiled by members clashing or falling out, or by distrust, and general clashes of personality. Also very true that it's best to get to know people well then choose to invite them along. This was one of the main reasons for starting the forums, as well as to chat and share experiences.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to All about ghost investigating