Off to Edinburgh!

We have now done dozens of investigations over the years all over the UK. Reports will be loaded one by one on the main site page at www.everythingghost.co.uk, - we have a backlog! Discuss completed reports here.

Off to Edinburgh!

Postby Spirit Bear » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:26 pm

Kaos7 and I will be investigating all the haunted hot spots of Auld Reekie, starting this weekend. We will try and bring any activity we catch and post it here-audio, photos and video. Stay tuned for more!
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: Off to Edinburgh!

Postby ThatZealousOne » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:55 am

Have fun guys! Say hi to Bootsie for me. :P

Seriously though, I'd love to know what you find.
ThatZealousOne

Postby Spirit Bear » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:19 pm

Bootsie may make an appearance for us, now that he knows Burning Torch, his nemesis, will not be there! :lol:
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Have a load of fun Spirit Bear, looking forward to seeing any results you have from your adventures!
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:08 pm

I returned from Edinburgh yesterday, after a marvelous 8 day stay. However, the PN side of our visit was not achieved to our satisfaction, due to jet-lag, illness, and the new policies of the various tour groups that have cut back on the length of their tours, making investigations a near impossibility.

I arrived on Wednesday the 5th, but did little the first 2 days due to jet-lag and a need for sleep. The hostel that Kaos7 and I stayed in was no-frills, but comfortable, and was only a block away from the Niddry Street Vaults, and the Royal Mile.

Kaos7 arrived on Thursday, but was too tired from the flight, so we had an early night, with dinner at a nice Italian restaurant. Friday was a visit to the Castle, and what a magnificent place to explore. After that it was basically a wander-stopping off at Greyfriars Kirkyard, saying hello to the statue of Greyfriars Bobby, wandering around the creepy Canonsgate Kirk, and a walk in Holyrood Park.

On Saturday night we had our first tour with Auld Reekie Tours, investigating the Niddry Street Vaults. But an hour of listening to ghost stories from the guide outside only left us with an hour in the Vaults. It was pretty much devoid of results, tho I did once again step into the middle of the Stone Circle, and dared the supposed "demon" to do something to me, but nothing happened.

On Sunday, we did an afternoon tour with Merkat of the Blair Street Vaults, but once again this was of limited duration. Unlike my visit to Edinburgh in 2013, where we stayed in the Vaults for 6 hours, no Merkat tour now lasts more than 2 hours. Why they have cut their hours I can't say, but it is a pity.

Our last tour on Monday night I had to do alone, as Kaos7 had to beg off, as he was not feeling well. This tour was a little more extensive, but still I was only in the Vaults for an hour. The only activity occurred when we finished up in Mr. Boot's room, where the tour guide refused to enter that room. As she was talking, a candle in a wall sconce on the opposite wall flickered, non-stop, tho we were told that there were no drafts in the Vaults.

We saved the best piece of our trip for the last. On Tuesday we took a bus tour to Loch Ness, thru the highlands, some of the most awesome scenery I've ever looked at, including the infamous Ben MacDhui, home of the legendary Grey Man.

Kaos had to return home the next day, so I was alone for my last day, which I spent just wandering around, admiring the history and architecture of this fabulous town.

It was finally great to meet my Chat Room crony, who I found to be a great guy, dedicated to the paranormal, and somebody who I think I will be doing a lot of investigations with in the future!

We learned that both the Blair Street and Niddry Street Vaults can be rented by PN groups for 6 hour vigils. Because the price is somewhat steep, it would require a team of 8-10 people to share the expenses, but Kaos7 and I feel it would be well worth the price. Hopefully we can make this wish a reality in the not-too-distant future.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Bear

Postby Thebogeyman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:55 pm

Edinburgh's history never fails .... every close and wynd in the old town has a story to tell so I am glad you enjoyed your trip over. Shame I wasnt able to join you as we have had quite a handful with work and family and new additions :-D

Sadly that is what Mercat do , they only do tours and these last at most 2 hours as the vaults are extremely popular. When you were over in 2013 the event was booked via Ghost Events Scotland and we had access via this group for the 6 hours that evening. There are occasions such as Halloween where Mercat will organise vigils after midnight with their resident PN group however these are rare and fill up in no time. As for going in with a PN group my last vigil in Edinburgh was at Mary Kings Close and was a howler as it was so piss poor regards the events and I can fill you in with this as to how a PNI night can go horribly wrong ..... so be very careful.

Regards the draughts well you do get them especially during the tours as the rear door opens to let the next tour in and for that brief time there you can feel this ( I have a photo from my last visit where the tour guide was giving me the thumbs up from an adjoining corridor just before the Boots room as my taking photos was holding up the next group ). There is also an old chimney at the end of the main corridor which is open to the street above and you can feel a draught from this also.

Catch you all later
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Ken: I stand corrected, I thought our little jaunt thru Blair Street was a Mercat production. I'm up for another 6 hour tour of both vaults, it's just getting enough like-minded people to share the cost. Dave and I are already down, I hope you and Vicki can make it, I will see if Ali and Jane can come, and Dave is sure he can get a couple of his friends to attend.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Bear

Postby Thebogeyman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:02 pm

Like all historic properties they will have a custodian on the premises with any PNI group , Mary Kings Close will have 2 or 3 in place ( indeed they stopped a seance as they did not want a glass used on the premises ) and RRS Discovery had a security man on the premises at all times.

If you recall there was a young lad from Mercat on the property with the PNI group who took us round the vaults to tell you the alleged hotspots ..... you may not remember him but he will no doubt remember you as I have this image where you literally had him pinned to the wall berating him over Most Haunted being there ..... I am sure there is a photo from my archive :-D
Glendower. - I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur. - Why, so can I; or so can any man:
But will they come when you do call for them ?
Thebogeyman

Postby Spirit Bear » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:14 pm

you may not remember him but he will no doubt remember you as I have this image where you literally had him pinned to the wall berating him over Most Haunted being there ..... I am sure there is a photo from my archive :-D

Har-har-har-de-har-har, Master Bogeyman!
Spirit Bear

Postby kaos7 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Not much to add to the report that Spirit Bear has already put in but it was a really enjoyable trip and great to meet the legend of this forum in person!
True shame about the vaults and the current tours. Seems to be quite a normal thing these days in relation to commercial venues. The tours themselves were fun and interesting but there is no way you have time to even take photos, let alone do any investigations. I managed to take quite a few pics when I could but nothing paranormal was captured unfortunately.
The Highland coach tour was fantastic and I enjoyed every moment of that. So much so that I plan to return back there in a few months for more!
The vaults themselves are certainly worth further investigation and, as Spirit Bear has mentioned, can be hired for 6 hours at a reasonable fee if enough people are interested in doing it.
I will be adding photos to this thread as and when I can get them uploaded. Nothing paranormal as I said but for any members of the forum who haven't seen the vaults before can get a sense of the atmosphere of them. Very eerie indeed!
Last edited by kaos7 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
kaos7

Next

Return to Investigations we've done