Starting a paranormal group. help please.

Advice, comments and discussion about investigating haunted locations, equiptment to use and how to do it. Tell us about your own investigations here too, we'd love to hear them!

Starting a paranormal group. help please.

Postby jerry1975 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Hi guys.

I have been asked if i would consider starting a group here in Scarborough
and just wondered if anyone could give me any advice on how to do this.
I usually go out with my wife or a freind ghost hunting so have no clue how to
Start a group.

Any ideas / suggestions would be greatfully welcome.

Thanks.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Re: Starting a paranormal group. help please.

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi Jerry, all of our groups for vigils have been composed of friends we have met with a similar interest, or we have met and got to know on this forum or earlier ones we were part of, or owned.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend opening it up to the general public and not knowing people first, as the success of a vigil does depend on your team spirit, cooperation and everyone getting on. In the past I know of vigils we have been on where strangers have come or paid and they have ruined it by larking around treating it like a jolly,coming drunk or just screaming and being over excited or afraid.

I would recommend first starting a Facebook page for your area, then meeting up with people you find with similar interests for.chats about it, getting to know them and talking to friends or people you know who you think would be good team mates, or interested. Then chat about where you could go - maybe try free open or outdoor places first.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks ghostinthemachine for your advice.
I agree you would'ent want people being silly, drunk etc.
A facebook page is an intresting idea but i don't really like social media sites.
I guess i was thinking maybe more of a meeting place like say a pud but like you say,
you may get undisirables.

I shall think a bit more about it.

Any help/suggestions will be very welcomed.

Thanks.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Are there any paranormal forums dedicated to your area?
You could join them and ask if anyone's interested in forming a group.

I understand what you mean about social media, - but it's a good way just to get communication lines out, and saves you getting a website or forum of your own... which is another possibility, one just for your area, but it may take some time to build up, and become known or even found on Google.

The other thing you could do is put small ads in the local press "interested in ghost hunting? Looking for like minded people in the Scarborough area for ghost hunting group".... then arrange meet ups in a pub as you suggest, without actually going on any ghost hunts immediately. social media gives you a bit of prediction and way to find out what people are like, if they have the same idea as you etc, if people are what you are looking for. Also just about everyone is on social media these days.

But, maybe that would be an idea anyway. You could put up post cards in shop windows too. lol Or maybe do a stint on local radio, something like Night Owls (nighttime radio show in Newcastle, Alan Robson, not sure if they have anything like that in Scarborough... he often does ghost stories, and other spooky stuff on his shows. You could join the show, speak about some of your experiences, and invite folk interested to the possibility of doing vigils too, if you met them. Give out an email address or phone number.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks for your advice ghostinthemachine.
I like the idea of small adds, radio would be great but not sure i have the nerve lol.
Social media is an idea i could look into i guess even if i am not to keen.

Thanks.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Yes, well most people go on Facebook etc to chat and find friends, or browse around. You just need to open an account purely to make this Facebook group and do the minimum of other stuff, and you can do as much as you want on the social media side of it all, just don't do too much. You'll probably find there are other similar groups in your area. Probably best to find someone who knows about Facebook to give you a hand though.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks ghostinthemachine.

I have been thinking about this and maybe a facebook group is
the way to go.
I will look into it and look at others to see how they are set up etc.

Thanks.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:17 am

Great, yes get help with it. You'll need to network with other pages and people on there. Also a FB group can act as a sort of website and somewhere all your members can meet up, chat and share reports or photos. Best to have some advice or lessons in dealing with trolls and problems with it though, if you not used to FB, and how to promote it.

You can also reference the FB group or page in any ads too, or use it as a place people can email you.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:16 am

Thank you ghostinthemachine for all your help.

Facebook is the way to go so soon i will start putting a group together on
there.

Thanks to all who have left advice.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:29 pm

No problem, good luck with it! Facebook is the right thing to do IMO, though you have to know what to do or you may lose faith.

It's also good as most people seem to be using it these days.... forums like this used to be very popular,but they are not so many now, most of our members seem to chat on Facebook rather than coming here too and it's difficult to get their reports on here after a vigil :roll:
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Next

Return to All about ghost investigating