The Haunted House Where My Parents Stayed

Had any paranormal experiences? Know of anyone who has? Want to know about types of ghosts & theories of what they are? Discuss these here. Ask any advice if you need it.

The Haunted House Where My Parents Stayed

Postby Tasha O » Tue May 05, 2015 8:06 pm

This particular paranormal experience did not take place in the village, and is not a personal experience of mine, but it happened to my mum and dad while working away from home.

At this particular period in time, must have been before 1965, my parents were living and working in Ayr, they were living in a rented property, the address of the property was known to me, but over the years I have forgotten.

My dad was a delivery driver, I’m not sure where my mother worked during this period when living in Ayr, but the property they had rented was haunted.

In later years my mother told me of how the bedroom door would not stay closed at nights, on one occasion my dad had fixed his belt over the door in some way to stop it from opening, the door was open again in the morning and his leather belt had been cut clean through, wafting lavender came out of the built in bedroom wall cupboard from time to time, and noises could be heard in the attic, knocks of some description.

Occasionally, due to my dads job, he had to work nights, my mother refused to stay in the house alone, she usually managed to stay with a friend, this lady was a clairvoyant and offered to spend a night with my mother in her house to see if she could pick up on any spiritual activity.

The findings of her stay shocked my mum and dad, the clairvoyant explained there were no bad presences in the house, one spirit was a little girl with blond curly hair, she died in the property, a Chinese doctor was also present attending to the little girl, telling her everything was going to be okay now, also their was an old man in the attic mending fishing nets, my mother was told the wafting lavender was in connection with her, and it had been her late grandmothers favourite scent, and she was looking out for her.

My mother was a little puzzled over the scent being in connection with her grandmother, she was still alive, but upon mentioning it to my grandmother many years later, nana said her mothers favourite scent was lavender, sadly my grandmother lost her mum when she was 11 years old, in 1921, my mother had never considered it could be her, my grandmother had always maintained she did not believe in the paranormal, but after hearing this, she said she felt comfort in believing her mum was looking after her granddaughter on her travels.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Re: The Haunted House Where My Parents Stayed

Postby jerry1975 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:32 am

Hi Tasha.

Another interesting encounter/experience there your parents had.
The smell of scents like flowers, plants etc is usually associated with female spirits and cigar/pipe smoke
With males and are sometimes present when spirits are around as in your parents case.
I am glad the clairvoyant said they were good spirits, I wonder what happened to the little girl,
Very interesting.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby Tasha O » Wed May 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi jerry1975,

Yes, over the years I have detected scents indicating spirits associated with them in life, the perfume my mother wore, smell of papas pipe tobacco, the smell of a match strike, other scents too associated with our previous dog Tasha who died of cancer in 2009, just a little reminder to let us know they are still around us.

If I can remember correctly the clairvoyant told my mum and dad the little girl had died of a fever of some description, but it is so long ago now I may have remembered wrongly.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Wed May 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Good one again Tasha O.

I wonder why the little girl was hanging around though, like she diane move on.
It sounds like it was fairly benign.

O you know how old the pllace was? Did they ever ,check out or know its history at all?

Apologies to anyone who has read this already elsewhere on the forum, but the smell of lavender and Jerry's comments about female spirits and flowers reminds me of an experience I had at Chillingham Castle when we did our longest set of investigations. As I had been working all day and we had just arrived, and knew we would be up all night, I went downstairs to our room, which us three female investigators were sharing, for a rest at around 7pm. After a few minutes lying peacefully I noticed a very strong smell of flowers come over the area where I was lying, and I was somehow aware of the sense of a kindly woman looking down on me, standing over. I assumed one of the others had come in the room, but noticed no sounds, and "felt" the woman back away, so I sat up. Still the smell was strong, lingering all around - but no one there, no sound anyone had been at all, no sound in the corridor outside or the stairs to the lounge above, and I could hear my friends chatting up there. Suddenly the scent totally disappeared, it didn't even fade, it just wasn't there any more in the next instance, after having been very strong. Immediately I assumed there must be one of those puffer air fresheners that plugs into the wall, and one of my friends MUST have come in and out, though I couldn't understand how I wouldn't hear them leave to go upstairs.

I got up and searched the whole room for such air fresheners, or an explanation, but there were none. I went upstairs and my friends insisted no one had been down there or left their room. Later I spoke to the head manager, who explained there have never been air fresheners in that area, but the ghost of Lady Mary wanders the castle and is known to be a kind spirit who is always accompanied by the smell of scented flowers.

The mention of tobacco smells reminds me of a similar experience I had at Preston Manor when I believe I encountered the lingering presence of a young man, a WWI soldier, said to haunt the area I was standing.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby jerry1975 » Wed May 06, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi,

I have never smelt anything myself on an investigation but I have heard quite a
Few stories about peoples encounters and they have included smelling flowers, cigarettes, perfume etc.

Sad story about the poor little girl who died, I wonder if she comes back perhaps looking for answers as to how / why she died ( just a thought ).

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby Tasha O » Wed May 06, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi GhostInTheMachine, jerry1975,

As far as I can remember neither my mum or dad mentioned anything about the history of the place, whither they tried to find out or not, I'm not sure, but I think the property was in a built up area, if I can remember correctly it was near the harbour area of Ayr, I wish I could remember the address.

I have no idea why the little girl was still around, perhaps she was looking for answers, perhaps she was not ready to pass on, I feel as if I have missed something out about the open door and the little girl making reference to it, but I just cant remember now, and no mum and dad to ask.

Over the years I have smelt quite a number or scents in connection with spirits, one of which follows my sister in law around, she said its her aunt, she has been to our house with my sister in law numerous times, she was a kindly lady too.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby jerry1975 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi Tasha,

The house being in the harbor area of Ayr would tie in the fishermen the clairvoyant said was present I guess, a house I used to live in was once used as an orphanage for children whose parents died at sea and it was haunted, often taps would turn on by themselves, things were seen, I used to see shadows there myself.
I wonder if the house could have been a fishermen's house at some point?

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby Tasha O » Thu May 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Hi jerry1975,

It is very possible the house at one point in time was a fisherman's house, especially with it being close to the harbour, if I have remembered correctly.

I do however feel I have missed something out my mother told me in regards to why the door kept opening, think it was linked to the little girl in some way, I had a quick look through my index of stories in my books last night, but I could find nothing appertaining to this story, I can only assume I have contained it within another, when I get time I will have another look.

I have just remembered, an alarm clock my mum had with her in this house in Ayr refused to work when she returned home, the clock was packed away in a box, when we moved house I found the clock, had a fiddle with it (shook it violently) and it worked again until I left home, I didn't take the clock with me, then it refused to work again, probably got thrown out in the end, but I never saw it in later years.

I have heard some dreadful stories about orphanages over the years and am not surprised things happened and you saw shadows.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Postby jerry1975 » Sat May 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Tasha,

Yeah some orphanages were very bad, not sure about the one that was a before it was turned into a hotel, then a private rented property.

Maybe it is the little girl who opens the door, would be great to find out more but as is often the case, things get forgotten, the history is not there etc and sometimes things are just hard to research lol.

Jerry.
jerry1975

Postby Tasha O » Sat May 09, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi jerry1975,

I think the opening of the door was in connection with the little girl in some way, but I cant be sure, trying to do any research on the property now would be very difficult, unless I can find where I mentioned this story, will be contained within another, I have not had a chance yet to look, might even have wrote the address of the property in my book too, when I get a spare moment I will have a look and see if I can locate it.

Tasha O
Tasha O

Next

Return to Paranormal & Ghostly Experiences