Psychic Vampires

Discuss the phenomena of ESP, Out Of The Body Experiences (OOBs), mind reading & telepathy, talking with the dead & mediumship, spiritual healing. Did it happen to you, & do you believe it?

Psychic Vampires

Postby Spirit Bear » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:32 pm

We have all known the type. The ones who come crying to you when something goes wrong, and expect you(or anybody but themselves)to sort it out. And if you do, off they go, without so much as a thank you, just waiting for the next time to drop their troubles on to you. And if you can't(or won't) help them, what do you usually hear? "I thought you were my friend!" They never take responsibility for anything, and when something goes wrong, it's always somebody else's fault!

Anton Sandor LaVey, in his delightful book The Satanic Bible, has given parasites like these the name of "psychic vampires", leeching off the feelings and emotions of others, and giving back nothing in return. Although a lot of his book is written with tongue firmly in cheek, he does make several telling points. In the chapter titled The Nine Satanic Statements, there are two that especially stand out:(if you are uncomfortable with the word Satanic, change it to the deity or belief system you use, the statements are relevant for all creeds)

#4. Satan represents kindness to those that deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!

#6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!

LaVeys book had a great impact on me when I was much younger. At the time I read it, I was already having serious doubts about the tenets of the Catholic Church, which I was raised in. LaVeys book convinced me to break away from a faith I had no believe, or trust in, and allowed me to start thinking for myself. I remember the day I renounced my believe in the RC church, and declaring myself to be an atheist. It was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life.

There is one last corollary to LaVey's statements that is all too true: "Lend money, lose friends".
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Re: Psychic Vampires

Postby Scaramouche » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:15 am

I have not come across LaVeys' 'Satanic Bible' before, so I beg the pardon of those who have if what I say has taken the extracts completely out of context.

Yes, there are those who rely on others to sort out their problems; but I have never considered such people vampires or parasites. If they do waltz off without a word of thanks, it is of no importance to me. I see them as being the same as those who ask for help occasionally; but they do it more often (sometimes much more often). I feel that to tar all such people with the same brush is not on, as there are some that I know that exhibit this particular trend as a result of mental illness. They find it a struggle just to get through the day and usually have a large number of contacts that they can call on for help with anything from filling in a form to borrowing money (they are not amongst the most adept at handling finances).

Which brings me on to the maxim 'Lend money - lose friends'. I am not a wealthy man; but generally I do not baulk at lending money so long as I don't cause myself problems in doing so. Sometimes it will be years before the money is repaid - if it is repaid at all, and sometimes it is paid in kind (good deeds, food, wine, etc); but where I am out of pocket financially, I am richer in peace of mind. If I lose a friend, then I gain three more - and they are not the false friends of a soft touch. I am a stickler for discussing matters before lending money.

This could, quite possibly, start LaVey spinning in his grave at immense speed; but I believe that we each decide for ourselves how we treat others based on how we have been treated ourselves and on our beliefs. To me, if someone approaches me for help - financial or otherwise - then, unless there is damn good reason why I shouldn't, I will offer what help I can.
I can describe myself in five words. Intelligent, handsome, debonair, witty - NOT!!
Scaramouche

Postby Spirit Bear » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:29 am

I must agree with you in general terms, Scaramouche. It is possible that many of these people do suffer from some sort of mental illness, but in my personal experience, I have not come across one of these vampires with that complaint.

Being the cynic that I am, ready to see the worst in everyone until they prove to me otherwise. I can only say that the too many of these types who have crossed my path, and tried to take advantage of me, have been coldly, rationally, free of mental disease. They go about spinning their little webs with the skill and precision of a top surgeon, knowing full well what they are about. It took me many years to finally achieve the intuitive insights that I needed to detect these pests and avoid their snares. I go by the mantra: "Believe nothing, trust no-one, question everything." That may sound hard, even cruel, but I've had a hard life, where I've had to make myself into the self-made man I am. I had no help, from anyone, so pardon me if what I wrote was unduly harsh, but expect no apologies for writing it.
Last edited by Spirit Bear on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supergirl: "What, do you go through my trash?" The Question: "Please...! I go thru everyone's trash."
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:55 am

Well, I think it's important to sort out the types of people we are talking about really, differentiating those who just take almost as a criminal compulsion and never give anything back and have no intention of ever doing so, and those who are in genuine need. The first type usually don't genuinely need the help anyway, they just want to get what they can form as little output as possible and have no sense of exchange. Often they will hurt others in return including the giver, and will be angry or vindictive if asked to repay. I don't think it actually helps this type to keep giving to them.
These sort of anti social people are fortunately more rare in my experience.

The 2nd type of those in need are usually people who will exchange back in any way they can, even if it's just genuine thanks and a smile, and are worth helping. They are genuinely vulnerable or in trouble but are social persons of good will who have found themselves in bad circumstances, and often they are even too proud to ask.

In any case, I believe generally what goes around comes around.... it's more about the effect all of one's actions and general output have on others, than just material or financial matters. I mean whatever emotional, communication, affinity or other help is put out etc. Sometimes just being nice to someone who needs it. Generally, it will be likely they, or someone else could do this for you some day.

Psychic vampire I tend to consider a type of emotional leech, someone who makes you feel drained or even sick, and who is impossible to satisfy or genuinely help as the more you give the more they want and are never happy or even cause you pain or upset for doing so. Often they don't really need the help, but gain satisfaction in pulling you down and sucking the life out of you. Seen plenty like that, and generally the one they have trying to help them is the actual victim, often trapped in the relationship and blackmailed in some way. The victims are often kind but cowed or sickly people of good heart who are failing.

As long as one can identify those last sort and avoid them, and instead help the social people who really need help, all is well. I would never balk from helping people in general though just because of those minority of anti social types. Most people are of good will and as I say, what goes around comes around.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Scaramouche » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:35 am

I agree with much that has been said here and have to say that my comments were purely from my own point of view. I can readily understand how difficulties in life and constant encounters with such people (sometimes at moments of enormous personal importance) can make one be on ones guard at the very least. I now realise that in my first post on this subject I came over as being 'Holier Than Thou' - for which I apologise.

Each of us decides how we treat others based on personal experiences and beliefs - that's not just unpleasant people, it's everybody. I admit that, although I had a modest upbringing, I didn't experience anything like personal trauma until I was into my late teens. I sometimes forget that others have not been so lucky. I expect this, and the true unfortunates I have encountered, may go some way to explaining why my approach to such people is relatively sympathetic (if not entirely foolhardy).
I can describe myself in five words. Intelligent, handsome, debonair, witty - NOT!!
Scaramouche

Postby Spirit Bear » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:09 pm

I've been described as: arrogant, rude, lewd, crude, obnoxious, pompous, vain, cold, cruel. I am, of course, all of those things-and proud of it! :twisted: 8-)
Spirit Bear

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:34 pm

Scaramouche wrote: I now realise that in my first post on this subject I came over as being 'Holier Than Thou' - for which I apologise.

Hey, don't apologize!! Your view is very valid, ... everyone has different experiences and so different angles on things and conclusions to bring to the table! That's what a forum like this is all about, New stories and viewpoints, help us all to learn :smile:
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Spirit Bear wrote:I've been described as: arrogant, rude, lewd, crude, obnoxious, pompous, vain, cold, cruel. I am, of course, all of those things-and proud of it! :twisted: 8-)

Just to let you know Scaramouche, though he says it a lot as a catch phrase, in actuality he's none of those things at all! :)
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Return to Mediumship, psychic experiences & abilities, prediction, ESP & telepathy