Ghosthunters 1996

Discuss favourite or least favoured paranormal TV shows

Ghosthunters 1996

Postby kaos7 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi everyone,
I don't know if this has been covered before but this was a documentary series which ran on the Discovery channel between 1996 and 1997. It ran for 2 series I think. A great show and covered a lot of interesting topics in relation to ghosts and haunted locations. I got hold of it on DVD a few years back and its certainly worth getting hold of if you can.
kaos7

Re: Ghosthunters 1996

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:58 am

Yes! We have talked about that a lot, if not on the forum (can't remember ) then between us. Fantastic series, there were two. In the good old days when ghost hunting was a serious hobby by sensible, thoughtful people who didn't have to feel a need to automatically debunk and be materialistically oriented, but we're curious, recognised genuine phenomena, and we're no less scientific about it!

Sadly, many of those members of the SPR and Ghost Club who featured have died now, David Fontana, Archie Roy, Maurice Grosse, Eddy Burkes, .. I think only Guy Playfair and Mary Rose Barrington are left. Great series, they done make them like that anymore!

This is the one you mean, right?

GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby kaos7 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Yeah that's the one!
I totally agree GITM, it was very well done and it was a shame it only lasted for 2 series. One of the best episodes IMO was about the Cardiff Poltergeist which Prof David Fontana investigated for the SPR.
Brilliant series!
kaos7

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:10 pm

Yep, that was "Pete the Poltergeist" who haunted a garage in Cardiff called Mower Services.
Outlr member Chatelaine knows exactly where it is (from Cardiff) and showed me where it was once.

Two other very memorable stories were the phantom Roman soldiers seen marching below York Minster by a very credible electrician, and the ghost of a school master who haunted building previously a school that had been burned out by fire. Amazing cases.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby kaos7 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:53 pm

Yeah, the roman soldiers were seen in 1953 in the treasurers house. The witness said that he heard a droning noise and then he saw them come through the wall. Apparently, other people in the house have heard the same droning noise on various occasions and the uniforms that the witness described have now been identified as local reserve soldiers.
kaos7

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:08 pm

Yeah I remember that guy, really credible witness.

Funnily enough, almost exactly the sa experiences have happened to people in Caerleon, including a guy I know who worked at the Roman baths, and who owns a house next to the excavated barracks. He had a whole marching bunch of them walk through his house, happened regularly for months ... but only the sounds. He and his wife both experienced it many times. They researched and found their house is right on top of the road that accesses the barracks gates.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:37 am

They don't make them like this any more! This was a fantastic collection and one I never tire of watching. I loved the experts and their informed statements, the episodes are a delight to watch. Oh to see stuff like this on telly again!
Chatelaine

Postby kaos7 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Interesting stuff GITM! Did it happen at a certain time of day? I know of a large warehouse and office complex in West Sussex which had reports of roman soldiers being seen a lot outside in the car parks and loading bays actually.
Yeah it was such a great series Chatelaine. I used to really enjoy Prof Archie Roy's comments on things. Really made you stop and think. I think I might have to watch a few episodes tomorrow!
kaos7

Postby GhostInTheMachine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:31 am

I'm not sure, but probably, as I remember him saying he and his wife regularly experienced it when they were sitting in the lounge at home, so I suppose that would be evening.
It's definitely more of a stone tape/repeater replay phenomenon than an intelligent entity.
He and his wife would hear the whole marching sounds, shouting etc and it was going right through the house and out the walls,.. but strangely soon as they stepped outside there was no sound of it at all, - they would step back in and it was going again.

I have heard other Caerleon residents come into the baths and tell me of similar events happening in other parts of the town.
GhostInTheMachine
Site Admin

Postby Chatelaine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:09 pm

The stories about York and the Roman soldiers walking right through the wall of that cellar really captured my imagination when I was little. I remember going on a train journey to York with my family and feeling apprehensive and excited all the way there as I was sure that I was going to see the soldiers for myself when I arrived! Very convincing story that one.
Chatelaine

Next

Return to Ghosts On TV